Greetings From Hereford (UK)

Rototype

Cadet
Hi All,

Background: I've been working in IT for the past 30 years, ranging from helldesk to rollouts to general IT support in various enterprises. My current NAS won't take the extra 6TB drive (it puts it 70GB over it's 16TB volume limit) so it's time to upscale (it's a bit slow anyways so it's going).

The new box currently contains a 5x Hot-swap SATA drive cage (due to be filled with the 6TB drives from the old NAS + a couple extra), a 5TB (don't arsk - long story), a couple of 16GB mini SSDs (boot) and a couple of 120GB SSDs (cache). On top of that there's the new 1.86TB LSI Nytro Warpdrive board (sub $200 from ebay) that I'll probably use as a Video buffering drive.

Looking forward to getting my NAS up & running - need a new motherboard with true 2 x 16X PCI-e slots (you'll be surprised how many boards with "2 x PCI-e X16" only have 1 X16 and the other running at X4), since I received the new 1.86TB Nytro Warpdrive board (needs another PCI-e X8 or better slot, the other one being taken up with the SAS/SATA board that drives the main array), and with this I'll be able to update to DDR3 (up to 32GB) and a faster CPU for better response times.

Other than this my network consists of Lenovo Tiny machines (zero expansion, but pretty good at what they do) and the odd laptop or two as well as a basic gaming PC I built up a couple of years ago. At home I generally use the computers as a tool rather than a pastime (the gamer doesn't get switched on that often)- I have enough of PCs and laptops at work to get too enthused about playing with them a lot at home. My other hobbies are engineering, 1960s Italian Scooters and airguns (Yes, there is a bit of crossover there).

Rototype