Greetings from the Great White North!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongHair4277

Cadet
Hello!!!
I was a huge believer that RAID5/6 was the best way to store and protect data. I had never heard of ZFS or really any other storage options. It wasn't until recently, as I purchased a number of "end of life" IBM x3850M2 servers with quad processors and 64GB of ECC RAM for $250 a machine and needed to add storage to them, that my journey into NAS (and such) began. I had always had, what I know now as DAS, drives internal to the machines / servers and a 3Ware Raid card running the show. These new servers I picked up are rack mounting highly proprietary cases that only have provisions for 4 @ 2.5" SAS drives (that officially from IBM are size capped at 146GB a drive) that are just for the servers local use as I see it. It was when I started messing with VMWARE that I had my eyes opened to what storage can be all about ... iSCSI attached devices.... NAS..... SAN.... FC connections .... My mind was ripped open to possibilities!! and then immediately CRUSHED as I seen prices for this equipment.

I run an electrical contracting company and have under grad degree in electronics. I have always loved computers: building, programming , repairing . I have never been exposed to a "DataCenter" . My job has had me in and around college and hospital server rooms but only as a passerby, never any details.

Anyways, I am going to be putting a few of these servers into my business and using a couple of them at home for a test bed and have a few that I now am gonna use to build a FreeNAS for my business and my home.
I have acquired a pair of NETAPP DS14MK2-AT drive shelves (dual redundant power supplies and FC (fibre Channel) to SATA controllers in them ) that I want to use for the drives for the NAS. Two of the servers
are only dual 2processor Xeon X7350 (4 core 2.93ghz) with 32 GB of DDR2-667 ECC ram and I will install Qlogic 2462's in. That's the plan I am starting with.
Thanks for the ear(s)
Dean

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Welcome Dean. It sounds like you'll be having some fun with your new gear. Make sure nothing gets between ZFS and the hard drives on the ones you use for FreeNAS.

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums! Assuming you are from Canada, eh!, know that there are other Canadian users here too. I'm not one of them, but I do have ties (friends/family).

Status
Not open for further replies.