Greetings from Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlmyst

Cadet
In march 2012, I installed my first FreeNAS, configured the device for our needs, and it's still there, still running, faithfully doing it's job after 3 years, can't even remember the last time I logged in, it just plain works.

I had worked with other systems before, and I have installed other systems since then, some with fancy features, some with extremely basic setups, and after all that , I'm back to installing again FreeNAS.

I'm a system administrator, I mainly focus on the development and maintenance of our infrastructure. I have decided to configure a storage infrastructure based on FreeNAS for some of our data, a system with a primary NAS serving a limited number of Linux servers (not more than 50) with a few NFS exports, replicating the data to a second data center on the other side of our site. I would start with part of the data
on the primary (roughly 250TB); then if this works well, maybe install a second NAS for the rest of the data...
Why not use a commercial product, with 24/7 4h support? Because support is rarely efficient or useful for software/config issues; of course, the hardware has maintenance contracts.

I also enjoy working on the network and the firewalls, I speak fluent cisco and juniper, and am able to click on a Palo Alto firewall GUI. Another of my interests is managing the vmware ESX infrastructure, I can spend endless hours looking at vcops graphics. On the other hand, I seriously lack practice working on our HPC environment, and, I'm definitely not a web person, still stuck at HTML 1.0

Other than that, well, I was born a couple years before they sent a man on the Moon. When I log in to the real world: I live in Brussels, right in the middle of Belgium. I have a wonderful wife, and three kids (none of them interested in a career in computing, fortunately)

Anything else? just ask!

FritVetBE

Explorer
Hey Kewlmyst

Welcome on the forums. Reading your introduction quite impresses me with your experience and knowledge about the different areas :smile:

I hope you will share some of your experiences of your storage infrastructure you will be building with FreeNAS, mainly the positive, as well as the negative.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Welcome to the forum

Noctris

Contributor
Welcome from a Yet Another Belgian :)

Status
Not open for further replies.