SOLVED GPTZFSBOOT: Error 187 LBA XXXXXXXXXX

Martin C2S

Dabbler
Hello All,

I'll admit right off the bat that I am a mega-noob when it comes to TrueNAS so please bear with me. Furthermore I'm coming from 15 years of running Windows Home Server so the learning curve is quite steep for me. I've been drinking from a firehose and trying to learn as much as I can but recently I think I've hit my limit and just about at my wits end so I hope someone here can help me out.

Before I get on to some of the other issues that I'm having I just noticed that on boot I get the following error:
GPTZFSBOOT: Error 187 LBA XXXXXXXXXX

This error is repeated 20 times with 5 unique 10 digit "XXXXXXXXXX" numbers repeated 4 times each.

The system eventually boots up and I can access to GUI and the CLI but I think this error may be the cause of some of the other issues I'm seeing.

Here is a link to the server I just purchased from Unixsurplus. For the OS drive I've attached an old SSD that I had lying around directly to a SATA port on the motherboard but I didn't do any sort of health check on it. Could the SSD drive be the issue? Furthermore, I currently have 3x 2TB drives and 2x 4TB drives in the chassis that all have passed both the short and long smartctl tests. But more on that later.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance for your input and patience as I try to get myself up to speed with TrueNAS.

Martin

Redcoat

MVP
There's a bug report on this behavior at https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-105093 and quite a few forum reports that you'll be able to see in a search for GPTZFSBOOT . See developer Alexander Motin's comment about it in that bug report.

Martin C2S

Dabbler
Awesome! Thanks for that link. I ended up changing the Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only from Legacy Only and that has gotten rid of the error. I also had to do a few small things inside the server itself and found that the power cable for my SSD drive was just about fully detached form the connector so I swapped that out too. Don't know if that was contributing to some of the other issues but definitely need to be swapped out.

I now have another issue but I'll post that in a separate thread.

Thanks again for the help!