Good news, everyone! Xeon E3 v5 is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Good news everyone.jpg

As anyone with a passing familiarity with Futurama has guessed by now, there's bad news.
RDIMM support is confirmed not to be present. That means 64GB maximum RAM with 16GB DDR4 UDIMMs, which should eventually be affordable. Eventually.

A few noteworthy improvements:
  • The C236 PCH now supplies PCI-e 3.0 connectivity, instead of 2.0. 8 SATA ports are also available, allowing for 6-drive pools + plus a boot device or two. Do note that total upstream bandwidth is still some 8x PCI-e 3.0 lanes or so.
  • The PCH has moved to a newer process (22nm, so it's nearly cutting-edge - C226 was 45nm, IIRC), which should allow for a reduction in system power consumption (at the same CPU TDP).
Now back to the bad news. Currently, all announced board from ASRock Rack lack IPMI. The only other boards I've seen so far are from Gigabyte, with their server boards including IPMI. Hopefully Supermicro's products will be closer to what we're looking for.

survive

Behold the Wumpus

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm sure you could disable it in the BIOS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Workstation boards all around... How disappointing. A few do have IPMI, but there's no optimal configuration (or even an optimal configuration plus audio).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
More will come gentlemen. I have no doubt "our" board is coming. Just have to be patient and let stuff be released. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
More will come gentlemen. I have no doubt "our" board is coming. Just have to be patient and let stuff be released. ;)
Yeah, but the wait is disappointing. I find it weird that the Xeon E3 workstation market is apparently bigger than the Xeon E3 Server market.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, but the wait is disappointing. I find it weird that the Xeon E3 workstation market is apparently bigger than the Xeon E3 Server market.

I don't think it's "bigger" but Intel is probably trying to separate the "server" market from the "workstation" market since the server market can come at a MUCH higher profit margin.

rogerh

Guru
Another silly question,[1] is there really no difference between the E3 1280 and the 1270 other then 100MHz of speed? The price premium seems absurd for this.

[1] FAOD, the first silly question was also mine, but on a different thread.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I don't think it's "bigger" but Intel is probably trying to separate the "server" market from the "workstation" market since the server market can come at a MUCH higher profit margin.
Let's just hope Supermicro doesn't eliminate the HD crap from these boards and charge us more for the "server version" o_O

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Let's just hope Supermicro doesn't eliminate the HD crap from these boards and charge us more for the "server version" o_O
Last time someone checked, the X10SAE was cheaper than an X10SLL-F, IIRC, so I'm afraid there won't be a way around that.
To be fair, it's more than just the presence of audio.

emk2203

Guru
Just looking at the boards in general - can someone comment on the X10SDV boards for FreeNAS in a small form factor? The specs look tempting.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just looking at the boards in general - can someone comment on the X10SDV boards for FreeNAS in a small form factor? The specs look tempting.
Xeon-D. Low-power Broadwell cores. Integrated 10GbE, excellent performance per watt, excellent multithreaded performance, competitive singlethreaded performance, outrageous pricing.

emk2203

Guru
Looked at the prices after my post, can confirm. Too bad, these boards are great.

Apollo

Wizard
It is possible someone will come out with mobile/application processor to handle server and workstation workload and replace Intel platforms.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It is possible someone will come out with mobile/application processor to handle server and workstation workload and replace Intel platforms.
Unless that someone is AMD or VIA (HA! VIA. Nope.avi), that would imply an ARM (or MIPS, but MIPS is a bit too obscure for it to ever end up on the DIY market) port of FreeNAS.

gork

Dabbler
Ugh why has there been such a pinch in the RAM department on each successive CPU iteration as of late?

When Sandy Bridge (1st gen E5) came out, building servers with 256 or 512GB and even up to a TB in a dual cpu system was both possible and affordable all things considered.

I don't even think you can do 512GB on a dual CPU system today. Maybe hardware vendors are afraid of the VM consolidation ratios possible with today's CPUs and reluctant to build high-memory/low-socket-count machines and so intel is relucant to support features on chip that will not be used...

Apollo

Wizard
Unless that someone is AMD or VIA (HA! VIA. Nope.avi), that would imply an ARM (or MIPS, but MIPS is a bit too obscure for it to ever end up on the DIY market) port of FreeNAS.
No I was thinking like Qxxxxxx application processors. Mostly involved in high definition tablets and cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.