Getting disk size in Windows Explorer of freenas volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikep56

Cadet
Hi All,
I am most definitely a freenas noob, and a linux non-user. With that being said, I have successfully set up 2 separate freenas boxes in my home network. They are both lower end PCs that were laying around, so both are set up using UFS. They both work exceptionally well. The hardware specs aren't important, I think, because they are accessible flawlessly from any PC on my home network; 6 Windows XP and 1 Vista.
They are setup as 2 volumes in each box; each volume is a separate hard drive.
I use them for file storage and transfer between users, and as a sort of Video On Demand system. By storing movies as a list of VOB, BUP, and IFO files, by clicking on the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, the movie plays very well in VLC. This keeps my nephews happy, and their movies unscratched.
My question is: Is there a way to get the used and free space available from a PC connected to the nas box on the network, similar as to when you right click on a drive in Windows explorer and the Properties box pops up listing used and free space along with a pie chart showing the capacity and used and free space?
I know that I can HTTP into the nas box and see it from there; but I was wondering if it can be done from Windows?
Thanks for a great product.
Mike

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you map your share to a drive letter in Windows, you will be able to right-click and get properties. At least, I know this is true in Windows 7. I'm 99% sure it is true in Vista and XP. It will tell you how much space is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.