Get data from freenas8 drive without freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

riegersn

Hey guys, my pc running freenas is shot. Has issues with the older hardware but drives are intact. I bought a device that allows me to pop the Sata drive in and connect to my Mac (10.6) via USB.

When I connect it my Mac says the drive is not readable by this computer. I know the device works as I've used another hard drive successfully.

I installed zfsmac but still is not readable. I have very important documents and other content on these 2 drives that I NEED to get to.

I'm in need of some help here, can anyone assist? Thanks in advance.

MAC does not support anything close to a recent version of zfs.

you could install a virtual machine host (vmware, virtualbox), create a VM and install FreeNAS and expose the disk to the VM. that would get you your data.

you could also scrap together another computer and install FreeNAS.

you could boot a live disk of Solaris express 11 and read the drives from there.

please let me know if you need more details.

R

riegersn

Tried UFS Explorer but since I can't mount the harddrive on the mac the app doesn't see the volume.

Installed solaris express 11 on a vm but can't mount it either. GParted can see the drive but can't detect the filesystem. (screenshot: http://cl.ly/2H3b002E2h300Q290O1m) However in terminal im getting: /dev/dsk/c8t0.... is part of active ZFS pool rpool. Please see zpool(1M).

I hope someone can help, i really need this data and without buying new hardware ;(

it looks like the proper format for the disk, 2 GB is setup as swap space on each drive for FreeNAS

did you Import them when you were in solaris?

after it boots, pull up a console and type

zpool import

it should print out the pool name after a little while

then type

zpool import -f YouPoolName

you need the -f to import a pool that was not properly exported.

let us know how that does.

pauldonovan

Explorer
I didn't think Solaris could read GPT partitioned drives correctly? That was the major issue for ZFSguru survivors wanting to jump to a form of Solaris - the way ZFSGuru (and FreeNAS) partitioned the drives wasn't accessible by Solaris.

I might be wrong. I *wish* I was wrong as FreeNAS has suddenly become so unstable for me lately (trap 12 kernel panics under high load) that I've had to go back to ZFSGuru because I don't have spare drives to set up for use with Open Solaris. But that's another story...

Paul

i moved drives from my FreeNAS 7.2 box to my Solaris 11 box, I'll try going from 8 to solaris 11, hopefully tonight...

R

riegersn

So I've tried this but when I type zpool import nothing is listed. Could this be because the disk is not mounted?

could be, but i'm not 100% sure.

sorry i didn't have time to check last night, i'll try and make time tonight.

i did some checking and i can't get them to detect. i'm filing a bug. you should be able to reinstall FreeNAS temporarily to get your data off.

taking foot out of mouth, it's not a bug, FreeNAS uses GPT not MBR, solaris doesn't play nice with GPT, but you can use gdisk to convert from GPT to MBR and mount them under solaris.

Status
Not open for further replies.