Backing up Freenas data to external USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoncoder

Cadet
I have an external usb drive connected to the freenas system at a USB 2.0 interface. The drive is ntfs formatted. I want to backup some specific datasets to this external drive.
I am successfully able to mount the drive and able to write to the drive. I use an script to load the appropriate module and mount the device. Here is the output.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# /mnt/Volume1/pkt/backup.sh
not loaded already, loading fuse module
fuse module loaded successfully
creating directory /mnt/usbext
mounting /dev/da1s1 at /mnt/usbext
successfully mounted
[root@freenas ~]# cd /mnt/usbext
[root@freenas /mnt/usbext]# touch abc
[root@freenas /mnt/usbext]# echo "abc" > abc
[root@freenas /mnt/usbext]# ll
total 10
drwxrwxrwx 1 root wheel - 4096 May 3 00:18 ./
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel - 512 May 3 00:18 ../
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root wheel - 4 May 3 00:18 abc*
[root@freenas /mnt/usbext]# cat abc
abc
[root@freenas /mnt/usbext]#

However, if I issue command "rsync -a --progress /mnt/Volume1/media/Picture/Oakwood /mnt/usbext" , it just hangs forever. The directory /mnt/Volume1/media/Picture/Oakwood is only a few MBs so the size of data is not an issue.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# rsync -a --progress /mnt/Volume1/media/Picture/Oakwood/ /mnt/usbext 
sending incremental file list

After it hangs, I opened another tab in my browser and conntected to the freenas system. Guess what, the drive is not mounted, the fuse module is not loaded and the directory /mnt/usbext does not exist. For reference, I am uploading my backup.sh which are plan to setup as a cronjob (once I get this manual backup working).

Thank you all very much in advance for all your help.

Attachments

• backup.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 222

warri

Guru
The NTFS driver included in FreeNAS is not suitable for writing operations, and should only be used to read data.
Use a different file system or attach the USB disk to a Windows system and copy the data over network.

This is somehow covered in the FreeNAS manual, where it states that NTFS should only be used to import data.

Status
Not open for further replies.