General advice regarding storage type

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacredgaming

Cadet
So, first off I wanted to thank you for the great forums/software. I just recently decided to convert my existing setup to freenas and wanted a second opinion on my build plans.

Currently I am trying to setup a production/lab environment and wasn't sure which route would be best so here it is.

I currently have 12 drives total 6x4tb in raid z2 and 6x2tb also setup in raidz2. I am trying to do a multitude of different things with these drives.
Media storage (plex server, pics, music ect..)
Cloud Storage (own cloud plugin)
vmware backup for my 2 host's including vmotions using ISCSI
Pc backups for my house

Those are the primary things i plan to use this for and was curious just how I should set up all of my drives. I.e all 12 drives using datasets for my media,cloud and pc backups and 2 addition drives in a zvol for vmware use with ISCSI and or break a part of my current drives off as a zvol as that for vmware. The VMware is really for testing. The only production VM will be my plex server and maybe a minecraft server for the kids.

Sorry if I seemed to ramble on i've been doing a ton of reading these last few weeks preparing for this and really wanted to make sure that i get it right the first time.

Thanks again and I appreciate any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.