VMWare Testing RaidZ2 = 25% Space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mweinmann

Dabbler
Hello -

In preparation of a new (my first) FreeNAS build, I am playing with it in VMWare, running on OSX 10.9. I am providing it 1 core, 4GB Ram. FreeNAS Is installed into a 4GB virtual Drive and there are 4 more 4GB drives setup.

When I try to create a raidz2 volume using the latter 4 x 4GB Drives, it is always telling me the pool size will be 4GB, not 8GB (approx), which I am expecting.

Is this a VMware quirk?

My real setup will be on an older dual core X2 @ 2.9Ghz, 12GB DDR3 (not ECC), 6x2TB data drives, and running Freenas via USB.

Intended storage data is going to be mostly video and some audio for streaming to in-house Mediaportal clients.

Why is ZFS making a 4GB and not 8GB volume? I am expecting when I add the 6x2TB to have 8TB of space (approx).

Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS by default reserves 2 GB on each drive for swap. Your results are consistent with this. You can change this, though it isn't recommended.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS by default reserves 2 GB on each drive for swap. Your results are consistent with this. You can change this, though it isn't recommended.

"Not recommended" in this context means "you're probably in for a world of pain".

mweinmann

Dabbler
Aha! I knew there was something I had to be missing. Just luck of the draw when trying to test with small sizes... It was driving me nuts.

I don't plan to change it, just was wanting to get used to the interface, options, how things worked, etc.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.