Resource icon

Fully Automated Media Server 2023-07-03

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ideally, I would like to be able to add a film to my watchlist from my phone, for instance, have it automatically downloaded on the server, and then be able to watch it on all my devices
Sounds like a job for Plex/Emby/Jellyfin (as the media server), Radarr/Sonarr (as the movie/TV manager), an NZB and/or torrent client (as the actual downloader), and Ombi/Overseerr (as the requests interface), with the last being optional (you can place the requests directly in Radarr or Sonarr if you like). This guide seems to include all of them.
Is it also possible to download the content on my phone, for instance, to watch it offline?
It is with a Plex Pass subscription. Not sure what they go for these days; I paid $75 for a lifetime one several years back.

newguy123

Dabbler
Hi!

I'm diving into the home media server ecosystem. I just installed TrueNAS Scale on my old computer, and I'm seeking an alternative to mainstream streaming platforms. In all my research, I have two directions, and I am trying to find the pros and cons for each.

The first involves following your tutorial, installing all the services myself, etc...

But I stumbled upon this second solution, which seems easier on paper. I'm interested in your opinion on the subject. Have you ever heard of Plex_Debrid (https://github.com/itsToggle/plex_debrid)? What do you think about it?

Ideally, I would like to be able to add a film to my watchlist from my phone, for instance, have it automatically downloaded on the server, and then be able to watch it on all my devices. Is it also possible to download the content on my phone, for instance, to watch it offline?

Thank you!
i have heard of plex-debrid, and i have some understanding of their system, but i am not an expert by any means. i have heard some people rave about its simplicity in the face of something like what my tutorial outlines.

i am not sure about the capabilities of plex-debrid is. i would def do your research. i will tell you, i run my setup exactly the way u want yours to work: add stuff from my phone; auto download, rename, import, organize; and having the ability to watch from all devices as well as the option to watch offline. to do this, u would need to do all the steps of the wiki, including having a FQDN for remote access and either the subscription version of emby or jellyfin (free). the new updated wiki has info on all of this. let me know if u have any questions.

Whattteva

Wizard
...which does nothing like Traefik/Ingress.
Well. Not the auto https and stuff. I was referring more to the no funky port to remember because you actually get another host and can just host everything on ports 80/443 if you want.

Personally never used Traefik myself, but I'm a big fan of Caddy reverse proxy. I think the thing Caddy is missing is the Docker integration, but I don't use Docker anyhow, so it doesn't really matter.