Jailman: Automated management of pseudo-custom FreeNAS jails

Jailman: Automated management of pseudo-custom FreeNAS jails v1.2.3

ornias

Wizard
ornias submitted a new resource:

Jailman: Automated management of pseudo-custom FreeNAS jails - Keep Command Line Jails Simple.

What is Jailman?

JailMan is a collection of shell scripts designed to make it easier to install iocage Jails on FreeNAS and/or TrueNAS core.

The goal of this project is to be able to install, update, reinstall, upgrade and delete most of your services by just running a single command. While doing this we aim for a "docker like" scenario, where the jail is completely disposable and all configuration is saved outside of the jail.

Example: If something goes wrong with Jackett, you...

Read more about this resource...

Looks promising, would love to see nextcloud added soon. :)
Good work!

ornias

Wizard
Looks promising, would love to see nextcloud added soon. :)
Good work!

Thanks!
Nextcloud is mostly ready in the dev branch, but I'm holding off on it and sending some of the changes/fixes/improvements (like reinstall and support for external databases) to @danb35 his upstream first...

One of the features i'm really happy with how jail installers can read each others config and base their actions on those. For example:
The Nextcloud Installer can read the Mariadb config of the mariadb jail, execute the create-db+user command on that jail and connecton it based on the IP in the mariadb portion of the config file.
----
ornias updated Jailman: Automated management of pseudo-custom FreeNAS jails with a new update entry:

Small bugfix for example config

Small bugfix for example config has been released.
It seems I forgot to add the lastest version to master when v1.0.0 was created.

Current installs should auto-update as usual!

Read the rest of this update entry...
----
ornias updated Jailman: Automated management of pseudo-custom FreeNAS jails with a new update entry:

Small bugfix for example config

Small bugfix for example config has been released.
It seems I forgot to add the lastest version to master when v1.0.0 was created.

Current installs should auto-update as usual!

----

New Services Available

After some hard working, I am glad to announce V1.1.0, introducing the following changes and additional services:

• Restructure of dataset creation and mounting
  • Restructure of Jail creation
  • Nicer readme (Fixes #32 )
  • Add automatic generation of Wiki pages from *.md included in jail (Fixes #39 )
  • Addition of Nextcloud (Fixes...

----

V1.1.1 Bugfix release

V1.1.1 has been pushed. This contains some major bugfixes for the organizr jail creator.

Current users will automatically recieve the new version using the auto-updater.
No breaking changes are included.

Last edited:

wah00kid

Dabbler
would this work on previous verions on freenas?

if i put 11.1-RELEASE in my config would this work?

i have a jailpool so under that tank i need to create a apps,iocage, media and downloads datasets correct?

then the config should read:

Code:
global:
  # Relevant dataset paths, please use the ZFS dataset syntax such as: tank/apps
  dataset:
   # dataset for internal jail config files
   config: jailpool/apps
   # Iocage root dataset
   iocage: jailpool/iocage
   # Media library dataset
   media: mainpool/media
   # Parent downloads dataset
   # (is going to contain: Complete and Incomplete datasets for downloads)
   downloads: jailpool/downloads

i would like my media dataset in a different tank.. thats seems fine i believe as i have written it

Can i use existing datasets?

Do I need to create any specific users owning these datasets?

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
would this work on previous verions on freenas?

if i put 11.1-RELEASE in my config would this work?

- It might (with a few changes). But no support and please do not file issues for it if it doesn't...

i have a jailpool so under that tank i need to create a apps,iocage, media and downloads datasets correct?

No everything is autocreated except your pool.

Can i use existing datasets?
You can, no guarantees ofcourse... But yes that should be possible considering I myself also do it for some of the datasets

Do I need to create any specific users owning these datasets?

Dataset permissions don't really exist in ZFS.
It's just the permissions freenas sets on the mounted dataset.
Those permissions should be auto-corrected by the installation scripts for the jails.

If you currently have different permissions that are required, I can't guarantee nothing gets broken though.

RobTheRed

Dabbler
Hey, when I try to run the ./jailman.sh -i sonarr, the jail gets created but when it tries to start, I get "jexec: execvp: /bin/sh: Permission denied" I've been getting this error ever since I upgraded to 11.2-U1 and I can't seem to shake it even when I'm manually installing the jails (I had hoped your script would avoid it). Have you run into this before? Do you know how to resolve? I've had to spin up an ubuntu VM to get my services to work.

ornias

Wizard
ven when I'm manually installing the jails (I had hoped your script would avoid it).

If it also happens when you do it manually, It's kinda out of scope and off-topic.
You also didn't post any logs byond this one line, so I wouldn't be able to help you even if it was related to my script.

Sorry, but not able to help you with this without more information (and It still isn't related to this thread, so please make your own help thread to get help for your problem).

If youdo happen to find a bug in my script, please report it to the github issue tracker directly ;)

-----

V1.2.1: Blueprints, Jails and Bugfix

## v1.2.0: Blueprints and Jails

Big update announcement:
Thanks to hardwork with the community, i'm glad to announce v1.2.0 and v1.2.1 have been released.

It's a BIG rewrite of the original code and also includes new principles like seperating Jails from their Blueprints. (and this allowing multiple installs of the same blueprint under different jail names)
This is a big overhaul. It restructures most of the config systems.

* It seperates Jail and Blueprint.
* It introduces config...

-----

Repository Moved

Please be aware the repository has been moved to:
jailmanager/jailman

-----

v1.2.3, hotfix update

v1.2.2 was still plagued with many small and big things not working as it should.
This hotfix release should fix most issues introduced with v1.2.2.
Also covered are many fixes to the repository layout and documentation

Community Changelog:
  • Added Code Owners
  • Setup clean Issue and PR templates (replaces old templates)
  • Globaly disabled SC2154 checking on PR's
  • Added Security.md
Application Changelog:
  • Fixed update...

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
We've been made aware of issues which caused Caddy to not-be installed anymore.

This is due to the developer stopping supplying us with binaries.
The dev-branch was updated to remove caddy completely 2 months back, but it takes time before we can release it.

ornias

Wizard

Announcement: JailMan EoL and the Future of custom Plugins/Apps

The Old:
Since way before I mostly finished the basics for JailMan 1.3.0 (which moves Jailman to the IX Plugin system), I got more and more notices that basicaly went like this:

Hi,
I'm trying JailMan and I don't know how to use the CLI or config file, so now everything breaks when I start it.

These people aren't wrong: Having to use a CLI to install an application on a storage appliance that is designed around it's nice UI, is PLAIN STUPID. IX/Iocage plugins also...

ornias

Wizard
As of today, the Jailmanager Organisation has been removed and the core jailman code has been archived and migrated to the TrueCharts Github organisation. All links should keep working in case you still use it, but as keeping the organisation around for archived code is pretty useless.

All people with write access are also migrated to the TrueCharts Organisation.

With the launch of SCALE 21.02 ALPHA, TrueCharts has a lot of the features/applications of Jailman and even more functionality, check it out!