Resource icon

Fully Automated Media Server 2023-07-03

newguy123

Dabbler
newguy123 submitted a new resource:

Fully Automated Media Server - A Guide to go from a bare metal TrueNAS Scale install to a Fully Automated Media Server

recently, i decided to install a lot of apps to automate my media server. many of you have done this in the past and know the pain that is looking on youtube and various other guides to doing full automated suites. this guide was created so no one will have to feel the pain i felt for the past 5 days to get this working.

this guide is updated frequently on github so changes will not reflect on this page.

Read more about this resource...

JulianB

Cadet
Can I ask a very noob question please...
Would this same process still work for Core rather than Scale?
(just starting out and am now wondering whether should've installed scale rather than Core:)
Thanks for sharing though

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I can't get to the resource download for some reason, but I see in the table of contents that it refers to Bluefin, so would probably be for SCALE.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would this same process still work for Core rather than Scale?
No, it wouldn't. This process relies on Apps, which are unique to SCALE. All of the relevant software will run under FreeBSD, and therefore under CORE, but you'd be installing it in jails.

Whattteva

Wizard
I'd imagine, the same could be done to CORE with jails and some combination of scripts. I have done a somewhat similar thing on vanilla FreeBSD with Bastille templates, but CORE uses iocage, which is now deprecated? Someone correct me on this.

JulianB

Cadet
kk, thx Dan
was just reading this tutorial
so if you're saying plug-ins and iocage are dead-ends/deprecated - what's current best practice for this kinda thing?
(& apologies, aware we're entering new thread territory here)

danb35

Hall of Famer

Davvo

MVP

Whattteva

Wizard
Thanks both.
Are all the coolKids (ymmv) migrating to Scale?
I have no plans to ever migrate to SCALE, so I guess I'm not a cool enough kid.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are all the coolKids (ymmv) migrating to Scale?
There are pros and cons to everything. CORE is the much more mature product, with better memory management, and better performance in the core file-serving functions. It offers jails, which work well and are reliable, but there's no good point-and-click way to install other software. Some of us have written scripts to automate setting up various software in jails, which gets kind of close to the point-and-click, but it still isn't there. CORE can also act as a hypervisor, but it isn't as robust there as SCALE IMO.

SCALE is teh new hawtness, and seems to be the current focus of iX' development efforts. It uses KVM rather than bhyve for virtualization, which should mean you can safely virtualize a wider variety of guest OSs. It supports clustering, if that's something you'd need. But its big draw is the Apps ecosystem, which is what plugins always wanted to be--and if you install the TrueCharts app catalog (as the guide that's the subject of this resource does), you have hundreds of apps you can install with a point-and-click UI. OTOH, that ecosystem seems a bit fragile; I've been locked out of my apps for over a week on two separate occasions, and on one of them I had to just reinstall all of them. Not to mention a massive breaking change from TrueCharts that also required reinstalling all the apps.

What sold me on SCALE was TrueCharts' integration of Traefik and ingress management--no need to remember funky port numbers for the different software, and everything's done via HTTPS with a trusted certificate. That's something I'd been asking for since 2016 or before, and now it's there.

So, as with just about everything, there are pros and cons. Not to mention that CORE is based on FreeBSD and SCALE on Linux, and many folks have preferences (whether philosophical, technical, or otherwise) for one over the other. iX has said, my skepticism aside, that they intend for CORE to be a live and active product for a good long time to come.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Whattteva

Wizard
What sold me on SCALE was TrueCharts' integration of Traefik and ingress management--no need to remember funky port numbers for the different software, and everything's done via HTTPS with a trusted certificate. That's something I'd been asking for since 2016 or before, and now it's there
This is honestly why I skipped the I just use VNET jails for everything because I have automatic DNS setup through DHCP.

danb35

Hall of Famer
This is honestly why I skipped the I just use VNET jails for everything because I have automatic DNS setup through DHCP.
...which does nothing like Traefik/Ingress.

zevosei

Cadet
Hi man,

I just saw your guidelines on github, i want to follow it but some of the pictures is broken, can you please fix it?

newguy123

Dabbler
Hi man,

I just saw your guidelines on github, i want to follow it but some of the pictures is broken, can you please fix it?
hey man, i just double checked the guide and the pics all look fine from my end. where are u coming from, and are u on desktop or mobile?

zevosei

Cadet
hey man, i just double checked the guide and the pics all look fine from my end. where are u coming from, and are u on desktop or mobile?
I think my country block some website, now i can look the pictures with vpn

Roro

Cadet
Hi!

I'm diving into the home media server ecosystem. I just installed TrueNAS Scale on my old computer, and I'm seeking an alternative to mainstream streaming platforms. In all my research, I have two directions, and I am trying to find the pros and cons for each.

The first involves following your tutorial, installing all the services myself, etc...

But I stumbled upon this second solution, which seems easier on paper. I'm interested in your opinion on the subject. Have you ever heard of Plex_Debrid (https://github.com/itsToggle/plex_debrid)? What do you think about it?

Ideally, I would like to be able to add a film to my watchlist from my phone, for instance, have it automatically downloaded on the server, and then be able to watch it on all my devices. Is it also possible to download the content on my phone, for instance, to watch it offline?

Thank you!