Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M1 compatibility with FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have been playing with FreeNAS for a while now and finally decided to run it on a more appropriate hardware. As the money is tight I am also looking at ready made servers. The one in the subject is now available for a good price of under £350 at http://www.ebuyer.com/721267-fujits...226-v3-16gb-2tb-tower-server-vfy-t1311sx190gb with this config

• Installed memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB ECC)
  • Installed Drives: 2 x 1TB SATA business critical
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1226v3 3.30 GHz
I want to make sure it is be compatible with FreeNAS as someone on the page asked customer service about it and they said it woudn't be. I can't see why not, although the motherboard looks like a custom one from Fujitsu, it is build around Intel C226 chip.
The full specs are here
http://fujitsu-primergy.co.uk/fujitsu-primergy-tx1310-m1

I also emailed the customer service and was told it wouldn't work, period - they queried that with the manufacturer.
What do the hardware gurus think about it?

Best regards,

T

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
In all honesty, if you already have information from Customer Service and the Manufacturer saying "It won't work with period" then most people would leave it at that.

I understand the desire to prove them wrong but you also stated that "money is tight", so best advice I can give is to avoid this system since I personally would not take that gamble under the same circumstances.

4M8l93

Cadet
They might also just say "it won't work" because they won't provide any support.

I just googled for that particular model and found a post by somebody that apparently has FreeNAS running on a Fujitsu TX1310-M1: https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/co..._your_power_consumption_in_your_setup/cyp4why

Also when I look at the datasheet, I just see standard Intel Haswell components: C236 Chipset, i217 & i210 Ethernet

So I guess FreeNAS would just work fine.

Hello guys,

Just an update, I did not resist and bought it. In the end I didn't go for freenas but installed freebsd 10.2. It works without any problem. The only thing I have to point out is the intel graphic chipset does not seem to be supported by the intel drivers available. I didn't have time to have a proper look at it. I reverted to the generic vesa drivers, which is enough for me as it is really a file server without any need for 3d acceleration or such.

All in all, very happy with the purchase.

khani47

Dabbler
Thomas, when you received it, did you ave to disable anything before adding FreeBSD or was it just a matter of, USB install and go?

mine is arriving in a few days and ''first choice is to add Freenas and if that fails, it will be windows server

thanks

khani47

Dabbler
Well, I got it to work with freenas, upgraded the ram to 24gb and now I'm just in the process of creating folders etc.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hi Khani,

I am sure you have figured it out by now, nothing needs to be changed, although to set motherboard to UEFI is good.

khani47

Dabbler
Hi Khani,

I am sure you have figured it out by now, nothing needs to be changed, although to set motherboard to UEFI is good.
I got it working but then it kept showing an error, such as 'this is a nas data disk''
I got frustrated so uninstalled everything and added windows server evaluation...
But freenas was so much easier to use,!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

---

just realized, the reason why it was giving that error message is because of the boot configuration was incorrect...

now to delete windows partitio and install freeNAS again when i have half a day free!

Last edited:

4M8l93

Cadet
Hi Khani,

I'm afraid booting via UEFI isn't supported yet by FreeNAS. I suppose that has got to do with FreeNAS being based on FreeBSD 9, as only FreeBSD 10.1 introduced support for UEFI.
So khani47, I hope you haven't switched off the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.