ftp service not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Genton

Contributor
Is it just me or is ftp service broken again ?? Since updating last friday the service has been down. I wasn't aware at first as the slider stated "on" but someone complained it was timing out. I stopped and started it via the slider in the gui to learn it wouldn't start back up. I tried to enable via the cli and it was denied due to rc.conf not allowing ftpd_enable="YES". I added that line and started the service via cli and its working again.

The slider is still set to to off despite service actually running. Rebooting the freenas server returns to same state as before, ftpd is not started and I must re-add that command back into rc.conf, it doesn't survive reboots. Been using ftp for as long as this server has been in service, what changed in the March 7th update ?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Mine seems to start and stop just fine?

Try a "verify install". Go to system->update and click "verify install".

Dave Genton

Contributor
I ended up removing the updates, both from that day as its become an issue for those relying on ftp. Its working fine on the older version.

Dave Genton

Contributor
201502271818 is what I had to reboot back into in order to restore the service without issues. I later updated again where all updates went in during a single update session vs a pair as when they were sent out. Reinstalling the updates in this fashion has left the ftp service online. Apparently something doesn't agree with each other between those two releases from 0307, I'm fine now and no complaints from users.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
OK, so just to close the loop on this, you are saying that you reverted back to 0227, then, reinstalled all pending updates, and following this procedure, you are now on the LATEST software update, and your earlier problem with the proftpd service starting and stopping is no longer happening? Yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.