FTP service won't start after upgrade to 9.2.1.1, with bonus networking issue(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianDMG

Explorer
So, after a GUI upgrade from 9.2.1 to 9.2.1.1 x64, I noticed I was unable to connect to my machine via FTP. I went into the GUI and tried to turn the FTP service off and then back on, and now it refuses to turn back on (even after several reboots). I'm not sure why it's a problem all of the sudden. Also, I noticed that my FreeNAS machine seems to be having some sort of networking issue (apparently) involving trying to resolve the hostnames of several other machines on my network, even though those machines aren't accessing the FreeNAS machine at all. Everything else appears to be functioning normally, including my storage and plugins. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but since I did the update from the GUI, these are all settings that were working just fine on 9.2.1.

Fresh off of a reboot, hereis a pastebin of the output (my apologies, but the output exceeded this board's character limit) of the footer console message, ending with my trying to enable the FTP service via the GUI.

http://pastebin.com/2FKYurKL

I've also attached a .txt copy to this post for the click-weary.

Attachments

• FreeNAS FTP Issue 9.2.1.1.txt
    30.2 KB · Views: 253

Yatti420

Wizard

BrianDMG

Explorer
Alright, thanks. As long as it's not anything too serious, I guess I can live with it until a fix. I might as well add that I've been getting this error message a LOT lately (image attached), especially since updating to 9.2.1 (and now into 9.2.1.1).

Untitled-1.jpg

Flag815

Cadet
When did you say this buy will be fixed? It occurred on my system after moving to 9.2.1.1. Now I read it was not fixed in 9.2.1.2. So tell me again, please.

D

dlavigne

This line is in your log:

Feb 25 22:01:29 DMGNAS notifier: DMGNAS.local proftpd[13124]: Fatal: SyslogFacility: unable to open syslog: Operation not permitted on line 10 of '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'

Please post the entire /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf.

BrianDMG

Explorer
The text you quoted was from my machine (I'm the OP). Will post the output when I get home.

Sent from my Commodore 64

Harmless Drudge

Dabbler
I just upgraded the hard way from 9.2.1 to 9.2.1.2 (making a new USB stick -- my GUI upgrade failed -- bug #1412) and then importing a saved config file -- ok, it wasn't that hard

Afterwards the FTP service would not start, which I now know has been reported has a workaround (bug #4431).

Is this for everyone or just some?

BrianDMG

Explorer
Sorry about the delay in response, but here is my proftpd.conf file:

Code:
ServerName "DMGNAS.local FTP Server"
ot@DMGNAS] /usr/local/etc# vi proftpd.conf

ServerName "DMGNAS.local FTP Server"
ServerType standalone
DefaultServer on
#Default Address DMGNAS.local
UseIPv6 on
Port 21
User nobody
Group nogroup
Umask 000 000
SyslogFacility ftp
MultilineRFC2228 off
DisplayLogin /var/run/proftpd/proftpd.motd
DeferWelcome off
TimeoutIdle 600
TimeoutLogin 300
TimeoutNoTransfer 300
TimeoutStalled 3600
MaxInstances none
MaxClients 5
MaxConnectionsPerHost 6
MaxLoginAttempts 1
DefaultTransferMode ascii
AllowForeignAddress off

IdentLookups off
UseReverseDNS off

<Limit LOGIN>
  AllowAll
</Limit>

<Global>
  RequireValidShell off
#  DefaultRoot ~ !wheel
  RootLogin on
  AllowOverwrite on
  AllowRetrieveRestart on
  AllowStoreRestart on
  DeleteAbortedStores off

TimesGMT off
</Global>
<IfModule mod_ban.c>
  BanEngine off
  BanControlsACLs all allow group wheel
  BanLog /var/log/proftpd/ban.log
  BanMessage Host %a has been banned

brillat

Cadet
I am having the same problem. I have to SSH to the FreeNas each time I reboot it, stop syslog, start syslog, and then I can start proftpd. This was a fresh install of 9.2.1.0, upgraded to 9.2.1.1 then 9.2.1.2 in the hopes of fixing the bug. I do have a syslog volume. This is the default which freenas created for me after giving it just a single disk:

[root@freenas] /var/log# zfs list
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
ToolsVol 42.4G 855G 42.4G /mnt/ToolsVol
ToolsVol/.system 1.47M 855G 168K /mnt/ToolsVol/.system
ToolsVol/.system/cores 376K 855G 376K /mnt/ToolsVol/.system/cores
ToolsVol/.system/samba4 472K 855G 472K /mnt/ToolsVol/.system/samba4
ToolsVol/.system/syslog 492K 855G 492K /mnt/ToolsVol/.system/syslog

joeschmuck

Old Man
I believe this is flagged to be fixed in 9.2.2-Alpha.

BrianDMG

Explorer
I'm happy to report that, after a GUI upgrade to 9.2.1.3 x64, the FTP service is back to being functional. Also, the endless network errors in the footer console appear to have stopped. Good work, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.