CIFS service will not start after upgrading 9.2.1>9.2.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeNASUser5129

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

I just upgraded to 9.2.1.1 this morning when I saw that there were a bunch of fixes to the CIFS/Samba 4 code.

I use an encrypted volume, with a ZFS1 configuration.

After upgrading, the CIFS service will not start for me, no matter what I try. I have searched and searched for a solution but come up empty. I have tried Supa's suggestion here: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...the-service-could-not-be-started.18296/page-2 to no avail.

I'm actually not 100% sure how I can troubleshoot this effectively. Re-starting FreeNAS has had no effect. I set the logging to debug in the CIFS service, but I don't know where that writes (I'm not a linux expert). One piece of information that I did manage to find is that running this in the shell:

/usr/local/sbin smbd --interactive --debuglevel=3

looks like it is attempting to start the service and shows me a few things...

Failed to fetch domain sid for WORKGROUP
Failed to fetch domain sid for WORKGROUP
file_init_global: Information only: requested 16384 open files, 11075 are available.
Initialise the svcctl registery keys if needed.
Initialise the eventlog registery keys if needed
waiting for connections
Could not find child 47109 -- ignoring
Could not find child 47129 -- ignoring
Could not find child 47166 -- ignoring

etc

It actually just goes on an on with telling me that it could not find child [#].

Is there anything I can run or try to get this working? Maybe just something to see what's happening here? I would hate to have to re-install and re-configure my entire environment, but CIFS sharing is absolutely critical. Everything worked fine prior to 9.2.1. Once upgrading to 9.2.1, I had a brief issue with the CIFS service not wanting to start, but after opening and saving one of my existing CIFS shares, it started up ok. Since upgrading to 9.2.1.1, I get absolutely nothing.

Thank you very much for any help!

FreeNASUser5129

Dabbler
No ideas from anyone? I'm trying to determine the best course of action. I'm not terribly concerned about the effort involved in re-setting up the GUI, but I'd like to avoid losing data or winding up unable to mount my Volume.

I could reset to factory settings, but I'm concerned about my encrypted volume, and I'm not sure that would resolve the issue (?)

Everything works normally when starting up, but when I attempt to start the CIFS service, I see these types of messages:

Unable to open new log file '/var/log/samba4/lot.winbindd': no such file or directory
make_server_info_info3 failed with NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
ERROR: failed to setup guest info.
Winbindd: Unable to open new log file '/var/log/samba4/log.wb-FREENAS':No Such file or directory

And the GUI just hangs with the graphic that looks like it's attempting to start the service (it does not come back and give me a failure).

I also understand that I may be able to roll back to the working 9.2.1 version (that FreeNAS automatically keeps both configurations on my USB drive)? How would I do this? I tried booting up to F2 instead of F1, but wound up at a command prompt, and not booting into FreeNAS as I would normally expect.

Thanks again for any help/advice.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This will sound harsh, and I appologize for it right now.

I lost interest the second you metnioned 9.2.1 and 9.2.1.1. Both seem to have major problems as seen from forum posts and IRC comments. I'm still on 9.2.0 and for good reason. If you can handle going back to 9.2.0 then I'd do that over staying with 9.2.1 or 9.2.1.1. You'd need a copy of your 9.2.0 config file(or you'd have to be ready to recreate one from scratch). You'd also can't have upgraded your zpool or you can't go back.

As for the F1/F2 thing, it's not for everyone. Often things don't improve if you roll back. I'm fairly sure that your config file won't roll back, so you'd be looking at rolling back and then doing a config restore from a backup you've made(if you've made one).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you created the pool in 9.2.1 or you did a "zpool upgrade" from the CLI then you've upgraded. It's not automatic though. If you haven't upgraded and you are sure you didn't create the pool with 9.2.1 and you do a "zpool status" it'll say something about your pool not being on the latest version and to upgrade it.

FreeNASUser5129

Dabbler
Ok cool, so it says

status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.

action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support the features.

Then it tells me everything is healthy.

So to rollback to 9.2.0, do I just download the full install version/checksum, then run it through the GUI, or do I need to do a full USB stick format? I just want to ensure I do this correctly. Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd do a full USB stick format, then import a 9.2.0 config file if you have one, or recreate your config from scratch. Then stay on 9.2.0.

FreeNASUser5129

Dabbler
Alright, that worked just fine. I did a full USB stick format with the 9.2.0 release, auto-imported my volume (note: if anyone has an encrypted volume and needs to auto-import like this, make sure to download your geli.key file first!), and got re-setup.

Just for curiosity's sake, I did a fresh install of 9.2.1.1 on a different usb stick with the same result (failure to start CIFS). Thanks again for the help - I had never had any issues whatsoever with an official FreeNAS release before this one, so I will be much more conservative doing upgrades in the future.

panz

Guru
Alright, that worked just fine. I did a full USB stick format with the 9.2.0 release, auto-imported my volume (note: if anyone has an encrypted volume and needs to auto-import like this, make sure to download your geli.key file first!), and got re-setup.

Just for curiosity's sake, I did a fresh install of 9.2.1.1 on a different usb stick with the same result (failure to start CIFS). Thanks again for the help - I had never had any issues whatsoever with an official FreeNAS release before this one, so I will be much more conservative doing upgrades in the future.

Have the same problem here. But I'm determined to solve it! :cool:

panz

Guru
First of all, I can't change / switch the "Share type:" under "Edit ZFS Options". Once it is set the first time (choosing between Unix or Windows) then it's locked.

I was having this problem in 9.2.1.1 after upgrading from 9.1. I went into my CIFS settings and unchecked the Zeroconfig box and pressed ok.

I got an error that the WORKGROUP could not be the same as something else, it was set to FREENAS, so I changed it to something else, WORKGROUP, ok'd the changes and then I was able to start up CIFS.

panz

Guru
Oh yes, I tried to uncheck the Zeroconfig flag: it didn't work for me :(

panz

Guru
Moreover FreeNAS v. 9.2.1.1 refuses to boot from my _reliable_ Crucial USB key :mad:

zidvbelju

Cadet
Experiencing the same thing on a fresh install of 9.2.1.1.

Will be moving back down to 9.2.0 for now.

FreeNASUser5129

Dabbler
Good news for anyone still tracking this. I tried a clean install of 9.2.1.2 to see if anything had changed, and it looks like these issues are resolved. I got re-setup and CIFS starts up without a problem. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.