FTP from Xerox machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

adilux

Dabbler
Hi, I've been trying to figure out this problem for about a week now, and i'm baffled.
In the xferlog in /var/log these 3 lines:

freenas proftpd[34221]: 127.0.0.1 (192.168.45.9[192.168.45.9]) - NOTICE: directory '/bob/ .dstafBTusJW' has unexpected mode 0775 (expected 0700)

freenas proftpd[34221]: 127.0.0.1 (192.168.45.9[192.168.45.9]) - chmod(/bob/ .dstafBTusJW) failed: Operation not permitted

freenas proftpd[34221]: 127.0.0.1 (192.168.45.9[192.168.45.9]) - FTP session closed

here's the setup.

i have a xerox machine that users scan documents to PDF stored on a windows share, the xerox machine connects to freenas via ftp. On FreeNAS i have CIFS and FTP configured, so users can browse the FTP folders that are scanned.

I've tested the FTP logins using an ftp client (WinSCP) and logs in ok, but when i test the scan on the Xerox, i receive the 3 lines, and the scan doesn't go through. Can someone help me decipher what chmod failed operation not permitted? or some things to try to get this to work?

thank you.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So you have a CIFS share, and you have FTP going to the same place? When you created the dataset that you're using for the CIFS share, did you set it up as a Windows dataset? If so, that's likely your problem. FTP is trying to operate with Unix permissions, but the Windows dataset is using ACLs instead. I'm not sure, though, of the best way to resolve this.

gpsguy

Can you use SMB with your Xerox's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adilux

Dabbler
So you have a CIFS share, and you have FTP going to the same place? When you created the dataset that you're using for the CIFS share, did you set it up as a Windows dataset? If so, that's likely your problem. FTP is trying to operate with Unix permissions, but the Windows dataset is using ACLs instead. I'm not sure, though, of the best way to resolve this.
let me get some screenshot/settings from my current working setup i'm trying to migrate from, and some screenshots/settings on the FreeNAS i'm trying to migrate to.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Try adding the following parameter for FTP:
Code:
<Limit SITE_CHMOD>
DenyAll
</Limit>

That should at least give some notification to the client that chmod isn't permitted. On a side-note, I just use the CIFS client on xerox printers.

adilux

Dabbler
Can you use SMB with your Xerox's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i'm not sure...in the current working setup, i have a windows machine setup, but one of the settings is set to UNIX file structure.
upload_2016-7-26_10-17-45.png

adilux

Dabbler
here are the settings/screenshots from my current working Xerox setup on a windows IIS machine and on my Xerox

Attachments

• screenshots.pdf
    300.9 KB · Views: 349

adilux

Dabbler
Code:
<Limit SITE_CHMOD>
DenyAll
</Limit>

That should at least give some notification to the client that chmod isn't permitted. On a side-note, I just use the CIFS client on xerox printers.

sorry, but how/where do i add these commands?
I'm more familiar with working in the GUI, I don't know how to use linux/unix, but i'm learning, that's how i got to the xferlog files.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm trying to get freeNAS to work on a WorkCentre 5325. I have Xerox Phaser 3635, WorkCentre 7545, 7232, 7242, 7835 working on the same Windows IIS machine.
You can simply have the MFC printers scan to an SMB (CIFS) share hosted on your freenas server. See attached screenshot. If you have some other reason to prefer FTP over SMB, then you might be able to add the parameter paramter I listed above as an "Auxiliary Parameter" under "services" -> "FTP".

Xerox Example.PNG

gpsguy

Thanks for posting the screenshot. That's what I was alluding to.

You can simply have the MFC printers scan to an SMB (CIFS) share hosted on your freenas server.

adilux

Dabbler
You can simply have the MFC printers scan to an SMB (CIFS) share hosted on your freenas server. See attached screenshot. If you have some other reason to prefer FTP over SMB, then you might be able to add the parameter paramter I listed above as an "Auxiliary Parameter" under "services" -> "FTP".

View attachment 12865
I wouldn't mind switching to SMB instead. I use FTP because it's always been used. ok so i made the necessary adjustments, but the scan didn't go through. There's an error, but where are the log files that are associated with CIFS/SMB?
upload_2016-7-26_13-16-4.png

xeroxWCP55 is a local account on freenas
I also tried using freenasadmin (an admin on the freenas box). I'm going to try adding the code in the FTP auxiliary settings...

gpsguy

Try changing the login to "authenticated users". You might also want to try port 445.

adilux

Dabbler
Code:
<Limit SITE_CHMOD>
DenyAll
</Limit>

when i enter the code in the aux parameters, the scan doesn't go through. same error message in the xferlog:
upload_2016-7-26_13-49-11.png

adilux

Dabbler
s
Try changing the login to "authenticated users". You might also want to try port 445.
upload_2016-7-26_13-58-35.png

scan doesn't go through either by changing to Port 445.
and when i change the login to Authenticated User, a promp shows up at the xerox machine, but there's already something typed in (masked ********), so i press scan again and the scan doesn't go through.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
s

View attachment 12870
scan doesn't go through either by changing to Port 445.
and when i change the login to Authenticated User, a promp shows up at the xerox machine, but there's already something typed in (masked ********), so i press scan again and the scan doesn't go through.
Honestly, that's not surprising. Xerox machines are persnickety on even the best of days (even when using Windows servers). It's like they can't get a properly functioning CIFS client if their life depended on it, which is ridiculous because they could have just pulled code from the samba project.

You'll have to increase samba logging verbosity and read what's going on. My guess is that it's somehow failing to authenticate. You can change a setting on the xerox machine to allow it to print cryptic and unenlightening error messages.

By the way, the xerox "CIFS" client wants to be able to manipulate DOS attributes on your files. You'll either need to let it do that or set ACES to prevent it from being able to attempt that. This issue manifests itself as erratic behavior when the samba server has "store dos attributes = no" set.

Last edited:

adilux

Dabbler
Honestly, that's not surprising. Xerox machines are persnickety on even the best of days (even when using Windows servers). It's like they can't get a properly functioning CIFS client if their life depended on it, which is ridiculous because they could have just pulled code from the samba project.

You'll have to increase samba logging verbosity and read what's going on. My guess is that it's somehow failing to authenticate. You can change a setting on the xerox machine to allow it to print cryptic and unenlightening error messages.

By the way, the xerox "CIFS" client wants to be able to manipulate DOS attributes on your files. You'll either need to let it do that or set ACES to prevent it from being able to attempt that. This issue manifests itself as erratic behavior when the samba server has "store dos attributes = no" set.
when i first had to setup new Xerox machines to scan to the Windows IIS, i had to try every combination before it actually worked...real pain
btw, is Samba = SMB?

i changed my CIFS logging to FULL, i ran the scan, failed, and i check the folder, /var/log/samba4/ but which one is the log file? i've checked them all, but none of them make any sense.
upload_2016-7-26_15-32-5.png

"You can change a setting on the xerox machine to allow it to print cryptic and unenlightening error messages." <- this one is over my head...

adilux

Dabbler
What would be the easiest way to set this up without any authentication and then work from there?

adilux

Dabbler
thanks for your help everyone!
i got it to work using SMB. Just a little work on the pathing i had to manipulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.