Freenas wont bood propperly when using wake on lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erwin1e

Cadet
Hello,

I have a small issue when i enable the onboard network adapter on the mainboard Freenas refuses to boot unless i completely disconnect the powersupply. This hasnt been a problem becasue i disabled the onboard lan and inserted an extra network adapter.

But looking at my use. I only activly use the machine maybe 4 hours a day at best. The rest im working or just to busy doing other things. So i decided to see if i can get WOL working. This way i can use domoticz to wakeup the server when i need it or turn it of when i dont need it.

The behaviour i'm expiriencing is as following. When using wol or not fully powering down the machine Freenas refuses to boot. It all is fine untill after the bootmenu it gives me Fatal Trap 12. I checked the forums and i notices other people also got Fatal trap 12 but each time the cause is differently. If i disable the onboard network adapter all my issues are resolved.

Does anyone know how i can troubleshoot this issue or better resolve it. Any help is much appreaciated.

To make my story verry short.
Screenshot HELP :(

Asrock H61DE/S3 (Replacing this will most likely sovle my issue)
Intel Core I3 2100T
16 GB RAM (unknown brand)
Disk different brands and different sizes. Mostly 2T disks

Kind Regards,

Erwin

Attachments

• IMG_4991.JPG
    IMG_4991.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 274

tvsjr

Guru
I'm sure one of the gurus will be along with a better explanation, but it looks like there's an issue with the network card driver. If you search on the part number (AR8151) on here, you'll find other people have had issues with this NIC in the past. The Intel server-grade NICs are highly recommended.

You're also running a desktop-class board, probably not running ECC memory, etc. so you're already in violation of several of the recommendations for hardware...

Erwin1e

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I somehow completly overlooked the type. focused too much on the error :) I have some more googleling to do. I hope i can just make freenas ignore the the thing all togheter.

tvsjr

Guru
You can, most likely, install one of the recommended Intel NICs and just disable the on-board stuff completely in BIOS.

Or, you can replace the motherboard, processor, and memory with something that supports ECC, ideally by Supermicro, that has Intel NICs on-board already. Fix a few problems at once :)

Erwin1e

Cadet
I got the intel NIC. Works like a charm. This prooves that buying cheap somtimes cost more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.