FreeNAS Without the RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philbar715

Cadet
I have several differently sized disks from 3TB to 8TB. I would like to add them all to a single "pool" so that they appear as a single large drive. I do not need the availability of RAID, and I do not need a backup of the data that is stored on this volume. Is this possible with Freenas? Similar to Stablebit Drivepool (but without the mirror).

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is this possible with Freenas?
Of course it is, you'd just stripe them together into your pool. Be aware that when one of those disks fails, all your data on the entire pool would be lost.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I have several differently sized disks from 3TB to 8TB. I would like to add them all to a single "pool" so that they appear as a single large drive.
You can do this but they will all appear the size of the smallest disk. In your case they would appear to be a group of 3TB drives.

kdragon75

Wizard
@danb35 OS correct. @Jailer is correct for drives added to a single vdev. In your case, each drive would be its own vdev so this is not an issue. Just remember that the pool reliability will be that of one drive devided by the number of disks.

Allan Jude

Dabbler
You can do this but they will all appear the size of the smallest disk. In your case they would appear to be a group of 3TB drives.
If you just stripe disks together, they you will get all of the storage space from all of the disks. However, the risk is extremely high, and this is not a recommended configuration.

One possible configuration is to create mirror pairs, of different sized disks, if you have 4 disks: 3,4,5,8
3+4 = 3TB mirror
5+8 = 5TB mirror
= 8TB usable space

The advantage is that in the future, if you replace the 5TB with another 8TB, the usable space of that mirror will go from 5 to 8TB.

You could then use that 5 in place of the 3, and the 2nd mirror would grow from 3 to 4TB (as it is now a 4TB and a 5TB disk)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yeah I misunderstood the OP's question. Setting the disks up as individual vdev's is what he's looking for but as everyone has suggested that's a bad idea.

Philbar715

Cadet
thanks for the help guys! Im only considering this option because I dont care if i lose the data thats on these disks (all my important files and docs have a separate backup system). I would prefer not to have to stripe the disks together but thats what I'll probably end up doing.

kdragon75

Wizard
thanks for the help guys! Im only considering this option because I don't care if i lose the data thats on these disks (all my important files and docs have a separate backup system). I would prefer not to have to stripe the disks together but thats what I'll probably end up doing.
The only other way is disk concatenation and that's such a horrible crappy way of doing things almost nothing supports it including ZFS. What's wrong with striping them?

Philbar715

Cadet
The only other way is disk concatenation and that's such a horrible crappy way of doing things almost nothing supports it including ZFS. What's wrong with striping them?

I would prefer to have easy expand-ability down the line by just adding more disks, and I would prefer that if I lost one drive I only lost the data that was on that disk instead of the entire array.

garm

Wizard
I’m confused, either you care about the content or you don’t?
If you don’t care about the content pool all the disks individually. If you don’t want to loose all the data on a disk failure, make each disk it’s own pool. But unlike “normal” file systems ZFS will tell you when a file is broken and you will not be able fix it unless you have some level of redundancy. It’s probably better not to know in that case. You should proabobly look for a different file system

kdragon75

Wizard
I would prefer to have easy expand-ability down the line by just adding more disks, and I would prefer that if I lost one drive I only lost the data that was on that disk instead of the entire array.
I don't get it. You happy to play russian rulet with random files but not all of them? As Garm mentioned, ZFS is all about knowing when something is wrong and being able to fix it. With a big stripe, you still get the checks just no repair. But you also get all the performance of all of the disks. With concatenation, you in theory could get the check but no way to fix an error and there is no way of knowing what you would lose is a disk goes. Either have sain expectations for your mix bad of hardware or get proper hardware. Perhaps if we knew more about your collection of disks we could make a compromise suggestion? ie you have 1 3tb 4 6tb and 1 8tb, great toss the 3tb and use a raidz1. As you need more space, add disks 6tb or bigger. Run out of ports? replace all 6tb drives with 8tb drives and gain the difference. Otherwise I don't think you want to use ZFS.

RueGorE

Dabbler
... and I would prefer that if I lost one drive I only lost the data that was on that disk instead of the entire array.
... I would like to add them all to a single "pool" so that they appear as a single large drive...

It doesn't seem like you're aware what you're asking for, because if you added all your disks into a single pool, the entire pool would be lost if any disk were to fail. If you wanted data to be lost only on its respective disk (vdev), then you'd create separate pools dedicated to each vdev.

pro lamer

Guru
I would prefer not to have to stripe the disks together but thats what I'll probably end up doing.
Maybe some old FreeNAS version allows this (one supporting UFS) but since I am a noob neither I know if it is possible nor how dangerous an advice to use an old system is...

And moreover I don't know if it is what kdragon75 meant "crappy" :)
The only other way is disk concatenation and that's such a horrible crappy way of doing things almost nothing supports

Sent from my phone

sretalla