RAID setups and multiple drive sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHall

Cadet
I'm planning to build a new server and am currently deciding what drives to purchase and how to organize them. I would like to use multiple drive sizes to offset the tendency of drives to fail from the same manufacturing batches. As I am new to RAID, I'm not quite sure about all the ways to go about doing this. My latest idea was to have multiple arrays mirrored, with each array composed of different sized drives in a single pool, but that creates a problem for expansion if I cannot find the same sized drives in the future. What I am looking for is some sort of RAID setup in which differently sized drives can be added and removed. Something like JBOD, but with redundancy. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Thank you.

ZFS Noob

Contributor
Create a set of mirrored VDevs, like this:
  • vdev consisting of two 1TB drives
  • vdev consisting of two 2TB drives
  • vdev consisting of two 3TB drives
  • Stripe the three vdevs together, so you've got 6TB total space across three mirrors.
Like RAID10, with differently sized disks. Personally I'd just choose 3TB drives and run, but these are your criteria and this seems like an easy way to meet your goals and allow for simple expansion in the future.

joeschmuck

Old Man
My advice if you want to negate the premature failure due to batches is to purchase a few drives from different manufacturers or just different models but using the same capacity. I'm running six WD Red drives, not a single failure. I don't think you have much to worry about from batch run problems. I'd say the issue would be poor shipping getting the drive to your home.

There is no JBOD in this system either.

ric

Contributor
You did such a terrific job on setting up your WD Red HDD.

I purchased four of these WD Red HDD from Newegg and i couldn't get to work at all.

When I tried to create ZFS volume manager it gives some error saying "Unable to GT format the drives"

Also, When Importing Volume I got these errors. See below picture.

FreeNas 9.1 Release
Wd Red 3TB
Buil-in Raid controller (on Mobo)
P7P55D-E LX Mobo

Attachments

• FreeNasError.png
    FreeNasError.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 294

joeschmuck

Old Man
You did such a terrific job on setting up your WD Red HDD.

I purchased four of these WD Red HDD from Newegg and i couldn't get to work at all.

When I tried to create ZFS volume manager it gives some error saying "Unable to GT format the drives"

Also, When Importing Volume I got these errors. See below picture.

FreeNas 9.1 Release
Wd Red 3TB
Buil-in Raid controller (on Mobo)
P7P55D-E LX Mobo
Do not use the RAID controller on the MB. Turn it off!

Yatti420

Wizard
If you really test the drives for a few days you should be able to irk out any bad drives off the hop..

ric

Contributor
Do not use the RAID controller on the MB. Turn it off!
So if I am going to turn off RAID controller on the MB, will I still be able to configure the HDD as RAID within freeNAS storage configuration page? Thanks.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
So if I am going to turn off RAID controller on the MB, will I still be able to configure the HDD as RAID within freeNAS storage configuration page? Thanks.

That is precisely what ZFS does for you....RAIDZ1/2/3, it is completely agnostic to the controller it is connected to

ric

Contributor
I followed your advice to turned off RAID in the BIOS setting but same results "Unable to GT format the drives". My last option would be to buy a RAID controller card connect this to the four HDD's and let see how it goes.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I followed your advice to turned off RAID in the BIOS setting but same results "Unable to GT format the drives". My last option would be to buy a RAID controller card connect this to the four HDD's and let see how it goes.
DO NOT USE A RAID CARD. You want an HBA card

Sent from my Nexus 5

joeschmuck

Old Man
So you turned off the RAID in the BIOS. Now you probably need to delete all the partition information on your drives because I wouldn't be surprised if your BIOS RAID put on some funny format. You might be able to do this through FreeNAS but I prefer something a bit more specific to do it like GParted version 0.7.1-5 (that's the version I have). You boot the CD and then you can make all the changes you want to your hard drives. I'd just remove the partitions and see if that works. If just removing the partitions fail to work, go ahead and create a simple volume for each drive and then try to use the drives. FreeNAS should allow you to reformat/partition the drives at that point.

Also, ensure AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. I doubt this would cause the problem you are seeing but AHCI should be enabled for FreeNAS use.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
HBA cards aren't cheap. I would rather spend that money on a Supermicro mobo this will take care everything for me.

Ok.... but HBA cards are less expensive than RAID cards. Hence his warning so you don't spend money on something that is not only less than ideal(if it even will work), but is also more expensive(and sometimes MUCH MUCH more expensive).

ric

Contributor
So, let say if i get one of this supermicro mobo (New 4th Gen Intel core processor), I am hoping this time that using the built-in HBA/RAID controller on this board will solve my problem. I ordered this motherboard today and let see how it goes.

Richman

Patron
Did 'ric' highjack 'RHall's' thread?
So, let say if i get one of this supermicro mobo (New 4th Gen Intel core processor), I am hoping this time that using the built-in HBA/RAID controller on this board will solve my problem. I ordered this motherboard today and let see how it goes.

You don't need any HW RAID controller of any kind on any MB. FreeNAS is software RAID. Maybe you should do some basic reading. I think this is the first thing I learned when checking into FreeNAS many, many, many, many, many, many, many many, months ago.

sacredgaming

Cadet
^^ tons of reading and reading. My head hurts ;) fun stuff but, finding correct information regarding a specific situation can be a bit tricky. That's why I joined here. For anyone else reading this HBA's can be had for relatively cheap the IBM M1015's are working great in my system and I picked them up for about 80 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.