Upgrading drive sizes in Raid 10 incrementally ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RimBlock

Cadet
Hi,

I have an 8 drive Raid 10 array (paired in mirrors then striped across the 4 pairs).

The drives are all 2TB and I am considering getting some 4TB units to replace them but would rather do it a bit at a time when funds allow.

Is it possible to replace one mirror pair of 2x 2TB drives with one mirror pair of 2x4TB drives ?.

If it is possible, what would be the preferred methadology ?.

Replace one of the mirrors at a time (ie. replace mirror1.Drive1 -> rebuild, replace mirror1.drive2 -> rebuild) ?

will it cause problems if the replacement drives are larger than the original drives ?.

Thanks

Arwen

MVP
Hi,

I have an 8 drive Raid 10 array (paired in mirrors then striped across the 4 pairs).

The drives are all 2TB and I am considering getting some 4TB units to replace them but would rather do it a bit at a time when funds allow.

Is it possible to replace one mirror pair of 2x 2TB drives with one mirror pair of 2x4TB drives ?.
Yes, it is possible.
If it is possible, what would be the preferred methadology ?.

Replace one of the mirrors at a time (ie. replace mirror1.Drive1 -> rebuild, replace mirror1.drive2 -> rebuild) ?
Yep.
will it cause problems if the replacement drives are larger than the original drives ?.

Thanks
Nope.

In general, you want to check if autoexpand is on, using zpool get autoexpand. If it's not on, then
after your mirror vDev has had both disks replaced with something larger, it won't auto expand. Anyway,
see the manual, this procedure should be documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.