Raid 5 with ZFS and diffrent sizes of discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowjim

Cadet
Hi,

1. Is it true that I need the same size of all harddrives that are within a Raid 5 array with ZFS?

2. How safe is Raid 5 really? http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/162

3. I have 2x2TB WD Green and 2x3TB WD Red. My goal was to create 1 large volume with a fail capacity on 1 disc. So if 1 disc was lost a new one could be mounted without lost data. What raid would handle this?

I know that raid have nothing to do with backup, Im running backup with crashplan already on important data.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you read the manual at all? We do not use RAID5 at all, it's ZFS file system and you can call it RAIDZ or RAIDZ1 which is equivalent to RAID5. If you mix 2TB and 3TB drives into a single RAIDZ then the smallest drive will set the limit on how large your pool will be. In your situation they will all be treated as 2TB drives. If you replace your 2TB drives (one at a time and allow resilvering) with 3TB drives, the entire pool will use all the space and magically become a larger storage space.

I suggest you read the manual for FreeBSD and visit Cyberjocks FAQ page.

Status
Not open for further replies.