FREENAS vs freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybena

Dabbler
Hi I am new to FreeNAS

I have just installed FreeNAS onto my system and I can share etc.

The issue I'm having is that when I look under network on the computer accessing the share, there are two FreeNAS instances showing one is FREENAS all in caps the other is freenas all lower case, I can mount both and the caps one mounts as FREENAS and the lower case mounts as freenas.local

Both have the same files in etc and if I put a file in one it shows in the other.

My question is, is this normal? Or have I bumped a setting somewhere.

Note, I only have 2 drives so they are mirrored.

Last edited by a moderator:

adrianwi

Guru
Sounds like you've enabled two types of network sharing (e.g. SMB, NFS, AFP)?

Rybena

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply.

I have S.M.A.R.T and SMB services enabled but I thought they were already enabled on installation.

Under sharing tab only a Windows SMB is shared.

I'm using Linux and the 2 dont show if I access them from Android or Windows, just the one, only the two mentioned show up in Ubuntu.

Anomaly

Last edited:

toadman

Guru
What do you have entered in for the hostname and domain in Network > Global Configuration? And for NetBIOS name and alias under Services > SMB?

I can't remember the standard or options for recognizing case differences on the different OSes. (Which might explain why say windows when seeing both FREENAS and freenas thinks it's the same thing.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Windows hostnames are generally presented as all-caps, though they're case-insensitive.

I'd say it's a bug in your client (maybe you have basic SMB networking + Samba running separately?).

joeschmuck

Old Man
only the two mentioned show up in Ubuntu.
I have the same issue when I look at the network drives under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. See attached screen capture. I have no idea if this is normal for Ubuntu but opening "FREENAS" is the same as opening "freenas (File Sharing)" and "freenas (Remote Login)" provides access to the root directory however you do need to provide a user name and password. As you can see I have three FreeNAS systems running.

Capture.JPG

Rybena

Dabbler
What do you have entered in for the hostname and domain in Network > Global Configuration? And for NetBIOS name and alias under Services > SMB?

In the Network the Hostname is "freenas" and Domain is "local". (I have uploaded i screen shot but dont know it has attached to this text or if its lower down?)

and in the NetBios the name is "freenas", i have attached a screen shot of this as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-06-26 08-15-52.png
    Screenshot from 2017-06-26 08-15-52.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Screenshot from 2017-06-26 08-19-29.png
    Screenshot from 2017-06-26 08-19-29.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.