FreeNAS showing up double when browsing network Ubuntu 16.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cytomax

Explorer
I have a FreeNAS box running FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427 (64fcd8e)

I only started using FreeNAS since 9.3 and its been happening since so this is nothing specific to 9.10

I just freshly installed Ubuntu 16.04 on a desktop and i have NOT mapped any drives yet.

When i go to browse the network in ubuntu it shows me all the Desktops/Laptops in my house and it shows 2 different FreeNAS boxes (i only have 1 FreeNAS box)... doesnt matter which one i click i can always get to my shared dataset so it is working fine... i just think its weird that i see 2 icons for freenas...

1 is spelled all lower case and the other is spelled in all caps.

1) Icon of a computer with the name "FREENAS"
smb://freenas.local/

2) Icon of a computer with the name "freenas"
smb://freenas/

This does NOT happen when browsing the network using my Windows 7 SP1 64 Computer i only see "FREENAS" which takes me to \\FREENAS\

Only services i have enabled is CIFS and SMART

CIFS --> netbios name is freenas

Things i have tried.
1) Pulling the power plug from my router
2) Reseting the dns cache of my router
3) Restarting my computer
4) Restarting FreeNAS box
5) Searching google

Dont know what else to say..... let me know if im missing something.... FreeNAS is working perfect it just bothers me that i see 2 frenas boxes when browsing the network in UBUNTU 16.04

Thanks in Advance
Eddie

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
My instinct here is that some kind of network discovery tool, like avahi or whatever, is reporting your box in addition.

Go to Services->CIFS, and turn off that "zeroconf network discovery" checkbox. Then restart the CIFS server by cycling it off-on, and see if you show only one now.

Cytomax

Explorer
Thank you for the response... worked like a charm.... i had to restart my laptop and desktop and freenas server though for it to work properly for some reason.....

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thank you for the response... worked like a charm.... i had to restart my laptop and desktop and freenas server though for it to work properly for some reason.....
Fascinating.

I've heard of things like this before. They'll stop, and then come back in a few days. Keep checking on it, then update us. I'd like to understand why this was happening, see if it reappears now that you turned that thing off, and decide if it's something we can just ignore as a weirdness, or something that should be checked out by the devs.

Status
Not open for further replies.