FreeNAS Video converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

PierceIt

Dabbler
I'm loving my new FreeNAS but I miss a feature from my old HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server and wondered if there was a plugin that could accomplish the same thing:

The Windows Home Server automatically scanned all the folders on the computers in my house for video files, copied them to the server, and then automatically created a full version for watching on TV screens (mine was set for Apple TV format) and another copy optimized for mobile device (mine was set for iPhone/iPad)

While the video aggregation feature was slick, it isn't a MUST for me - I could live with having to copy my movies to a folder on the FreeNAS manually so long as the FreeNAS would then automatically convert any video files in that folder to the right formats for me for mobile and full sized viewing.

I plan to use Plex for streaming the movies over my home network. But what can I use to convert the video files automatically?

any tips?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Alot of media servers do the transcoding, usually using ffmpeg on the backend.
plex, minidlna, serviio, subsonic, ect..

I'll hopefully get a subsonic freenas plugin out in the next few weeks that has trancoding ability.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
I would recommend the plex media server plugin, then just throw the plex client on your phone and htpc and be happy :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Plex will stream to any Plex client. If you want to know if it works beyond that you should go to the Plex forums.

joeschmuck

Old Man
To answer your question as for converting the files automatically, I know of nothing that is automatic. If you have a fast enough CPU in your FreeNAS computer you could use transcoding although I have yet to see anyone get it to work perfectly. Your best bet is to use something like Handbrake which can do batch processing and fine a format you want to stick with. For me I change everything into an .mkv container and pass through the audio because all my DLNA devices can decode .mkv formatted data. I then use MiniDLNA to farm out the media but Plex works as well. There is an Apple TV setting in Handbrake as well if that is what you desire. I'd start by converting a few movies and test them out. If you are happy you can select all the video files and have the conversion done all at once. If you have a lot of titles then it will take a long time to do. Of course if you can get Plex to work with your current media type, then you have nothing left to do.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
Plex actually works perfectly for me. Transcoding is fast and reliable.

You can connect your appletv to plex using a script called "plex connect". Go check it out.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks for letting me know how well plex works for transcoding. I assume you have a fast machine as well. Of course I don't want to get off topic so I'll stop talking now or I'll ramble on.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
I have a Core i3 4130 at (I think) 3.2 ghz. So it's pretty fast.

dkran

Dabbler
Is there something I have to enable to transcode? I seem to have it configured to transcode via the web interface and all, but neither the web player or my phone can play anything on it. I get this format is not supported (which they would probably play on my phone just fine without the server), and I get a M3U8 error on the web player, which from the plex people they seem to say it's not powerful enough hardware. I have a Z87 chipset core i3 4330 and 16gb of ram, so I don't see why I would be having an issue

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should ask the Plex forums. We just provide the PBI and jail. We aren't active in the Plex development. ;)

dkran

Dabbler
actually I just figured it out a second ago. the issue was I hadn't directed plex to my tmp folder, and I needed to change the permissions on the tmp folder so plex could access it

Status
Not open for further replies.