FreeNAS to Legacy NAS data sync setup without rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

psdynpt

Dabbler
Hello, folks, I am a FreeNAS noob. What are my NAS to NAS data sync options, if one of the NAS doesn't support rsync?

On my intranet, I have a FreeNAS and an old Thecus N5200 NAS, which doesn't support rsync, but can be an ftp/sftp server, NFS and CIFS server. The FreeNAS will be my primary file server, with the Thecus becoming a warm backup for the FreeNAS (in case the FreeNAS dies), so I will generally want to have a one-directtional data sync from the FreeNAS to the Thecus (by-directional sync would probably be also good, just in case).

What are my options? TIA

psdynpt

Dabbler
If the Thecus supports SSH you could replicate a snapshot from FreeNAS to a file on the Thecus.
Thank you, Robert. There is an optional SSH module for Thecus, but it doesn't seem to be working (my Thecus is from 2007), and I am not very well versed in Unix to fix it. Are there other popular NAS to NAS server-side options using, perhaps, Thecus' FTP or NFS server, for a multi-folder/directory file sync/copy. I am hoping that there is a more elegant option, than having to run client-side robocopy from my pc, in order to copy data from NAS1 to NAS2 ? TIA

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Are there other popular NAS to NAS server-side options using, perhaps, Thecus' FTP or NFS server, for a multi-folder/directory file sync/copy.
If the Thecus doesn't support rsync and SSH isn't working then you should look for a solution that's initiated from the Thecus side. If there's nothing doing there, you may be stuck with running a transfer from a 3rd machine.

psdynpt

Dabbler
If the Thecus doesn't support rsync and SSH isn't working then you should look for a solution that's initiated from the Thecus side. If there's nothing doing there, you may be stuck with running a transfer from a 3rd machine.
OK, but isn't it possible to run something from the FreeNAS server side, copying files from the FreeNAS to Thecus using the NFS or FTP host, running on the Thecus server? Thanks

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
isn't it possible to run something from the FreeNAS server side
Sure, but you'd have to create it yourself or install something in a jail. Maybe someone else has ideas for the latter, it's not really my thing.

dpearcefl

Contributor
If the Thecus supports CIFS or NFS, you could create a share on it and then set up an rsync job on the FreeNAS to copy the data to the Thecus share.

psdynpt

Dabbler
Thank you, dpearlcefl, i will try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.