Remote Storage Questions: Freenas or not? Rsync or ZFS send?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello freenas forums!

I am currently working on a project to add some offsite backup for my data that is currently around 4TB. This will grow in the future, but I do not foresee surpassing 6TB in a year or so.

I have some questions that I have not really been able to get answered, so I figured this is the best place to put them.

My goal for my backup is to have onsite storage via either external HDs or another NAS server. From here, I would like to backup either weekly or monthly to the offsite NAS via a VPN tunnel. While I know zfs likes being powered on 24/7, this remote machine would only be powered on for when I need to backup/sync with it. It cannot reliably be running 24/7. Some friends have told me that this would not be an issue with zfs as long as I run my integrity checks before and after I either power the machine off or on.

My Questions:

1) Is ZFS Raidz1 really the best setup for what I am trying to do, or should I just use traditional hardware raid since this will not be running 24/7?

2) For my situation, is ZFS the way to go? If so, what are the best sync/backup options available? I know of Rsync, and I just read up on ZFS send/receive as well.

3) Is it possible me for me to sync from a windows based system remotely to a zfs file structure, or is it better to have an additional linux based machine or NAS acting as a middleman?

4) I have searched the forums for this to no success, but what is the best practice for hardening a freenas? I am sure there are guides, but I have not found any that are up to date.

I look forward to your responses, and would greatly appreciate the help!

kdragon75

Wizard
1) Is ZFS Raidz1 really the best setup for what I am trying to do, or should I just use traditional hardware raid since this will not be running 24/7?
This largely depends on the disks you are using. For a remote server, I think most people would push you toward a RAIDz2.
2) For my situation, is ZFS the way to go? If so, what are the best sync/backup options available? I know of Rsync, and I just read up on ZFS send/receive as well.
ZFS will always provide better data integrity that traditional RAID. Also unless your doing more complex snapshot juggling, ZFS send is cleaner and simpler to manage IMHO.
3) Is it possible me for me to sync from a windows based system remotely to a zfs file structure, or is it better to have an additional linux based machine or NAS acting as a middleman?
Windows has no ZFS support and therefore will not be able to do any filesystem level sync. You would need rsync, SFTP, or similar. You certainly could use a FreeNAS box in the middle and just use that as your onsite and a second FreeNAS for your off site.
4) I have searched the forums for this to no success, but what is the best practice for hardening a freenas? I am sure there are guides, but I have not found any that are up to date.
Be sure to disable any and all unused services, place behind a firewall with filtering enabled (not reject), use a VPN to connect (and not to a jail), on a shared network use pvlans for micro-segmentation where able, Don't use FreeNAS use FreeBSD and keep up with patching, unplug all network cables, never turn the server on, don't build a server, live off grid, live in a cave.

Ok maybe I went too far...
Unfortunately while FreeNAS comes with pf (a great firewall system) but none of this is supported or configurable in the GUI. As always where security matters, you need to do basic testing like scanning the box for open ports, staying on top of CVEs and patching (after validating)

Status
Not open for further replies.