FreeNas sytem rebuild question

JesseRamirez

Cadet
Hello all, first and foremost I want to let you all know that I'm very new to FreeNas, and have beginner level knowledge when it comes to FreeNas.

So this is where I'm at. I came across an older ixsytems mini-nas 12tb system. It sat unused for a few years until i stumbled across freenas and plex. A friend initially set up a plex server and it ran well for about a year. I then realized that he installed the boot on one of the 3tb drives and what I thought would be 12tb of storage is now only about 10. I'm assuming he partitioned one of the drives when installing the OS.

My question is, with now over 3,000 movies and tv shows saved, how could I install the boot drive to a smaller SSD, and make full usage of the 4 drives? From what I can tell there are no more SATA ports on the MB (it appears to be a mini atx MB). What MB would be a good replacement, or are there any other options?

The second issue I have, unrelated but maybe worth asking; I'm trying to update my freenas but it is saying that I do not have enough memory available. I currently have 16gb of RAM installed. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Attachments

• NAS 1.JPG
    NAS 1.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 133
  • NAS 3.JPG
    NAS 3.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 145
  • NAS 4.JPG
    NAS 4.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 130
  • NAS 5.JPG
    NAS 5.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 129

indivision

Guru
Hello. I am a long-time FreeNAS user. But, by no means an expert on it.

Are you sure that boot is on one of the drives? It's pretty normal for you to show less than 12TB space on a NAS system using RAID. There is typically a loss of some space that gets used for data redundancy (so that one of the disks can die and be replaced without losing all of the data).

You can put the OS onto USB sticks. So, no "real" drive needed for that. You might even check the USB ports to see if that is the case now. Even if it is, there could be system dataset files on one of the drives. I don't know enough technically to break down the what/why of that. But, I can say that it's normal too.

The error you get on update suggests to me that you may be running the OS from USB already and there isn't enough room on the stick to update. IIRC 16GB is enough RAM for FreeNAS. So, I think this is a file space issue.

sretalla