Rebuild Boot Drive Strategy?

kirkdickinson

Contributor
I have a FreeNAS box that has 4-TB drives in ZFS1 and its only purpose is running our household PLEX server mostly for the kids. I set this up in 2016 and it has been pretty trouble free. I log in every now and then to see if there are any error messages. Back in January, I got a couple of messages in my log that my boot drive had an error. It is just a thumbdrive. I saved my configuration file at that time to another computer.

Last week I noticed that the PLEX was unreachable and I couldn't log into the FreeNAS control panel. I used my IPMI and believe there is a boot problem. I assume that the thumbdrive is toast.
IMG_6482.JPG

I thought that it was running freenas-FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE when it went down, but that error message says 9.10.2 so maybe I had upgraded it in January after I did the backup.

I have the backup of the configuration file so what are my steps to rebuild? Which version do I need to create a new boot drive and successfully load the config file?

Thanks,
Kirk

kirkdickinson

Contributor
OK, my backup file is named: movienas-FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1)-20190127212214.db

I assume that means I had FreeNAS 9.10.2-U6 on there when I backed up the config file.

Is rebuilding this as simple as installing 11 on a new thumbdrive and restoring my config file? Surely that is too easy.

danb35

Hall of Famer

kirkdickinson

Contributor
Should be.

Well....

The update and reload of the config file went smooth. I only have one problem. Plex isnt working. Plex was installed as an old style jail. Should I just delete it and reload it the new way? Or should I try to get it working?

I connected with CIFS and all my movies appear to be where they belong.

Last edited: