SOLVED FreeNas on Sun X4170 shares not showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savroy

Cadet
Hello everybody. Unfortunately, since I am writing here it means that I have a problem.
Originally I had a very nice, good working FreeNas build on a PC with some SAS drives. It was working great, no problems there.
BUT, I got my hands on a server Sun X4170 and decided to upgrade. I installed a second SAS controller, installed 16 SAS harddrives and installed FreeNas-11.1-U6. The installation completed successfully on a USB stick, with no problems whatsoever. I used my older configuration from the older PC Freenas and changed the pool and dataset. I knew that it wouldnt work normally but at least I expected the folders to show up on the network. Never did. I built half of the config from scratch. SMB shares do not show up. I built all the config from scratch following almost all the available videos on the internet. SMB shares do not show up , neither on Windows nor on Linux. I created shares with Unix permission AND with guest access. I created shares with Windows permissions. I tried every possible setting (that I know of, I am not so experienced). The problem is that the shares do not even show on the network, nor they mount when I try to mount them through //IP/sharefolder on windows or files program on elementary OS using connect to server app. I even checked the bios settings, maybe there is some kind of setting that blocks this kind of traffic. I checked also my house router that I set as a gateway to see if it blocks something. I followed the process of creating a new User or Group or even did it with default, but in any case I think it should show at least on the local network. Do you have any idea what else to check?

PS. I can log in to the NAS normally through webgui and services like SMB etc are all on. Thank you.

Savroy

Cadet
Nobody took action to help on this but doesn't matter. After spending days on this problem I found the solution for me and I will post a short answer so maybe someone will get help in the future.

My first problem was that my FreeNas was not discoverable on LAN. I solved this problem by doing a fresh install on a normal hard drive (not USB) while the NAS was connected on the network. I am not an expert, I do not know if the USB to hard drive or because the NAS was connected on the network (I want to point out that during installation with the NAS connected on the network I saw some lines written that I didnt see before, maybe that did it) made any difference but after that the NAS was discoverable from Windows hosts with just a standard share. No special fiddling required or anything else whatsoever.

The other huge problem I had is that the NAS was discoverable by all Windows hosts and through my iphone using the Documents5 app that has this capability but not by my 2 Linux PCs. After reading ALL the internet (even the second and third page of Google search) I found out that the problem was the SMB version of my Linux distro. (THOUGH I want to be known that on my previous FreeNAS build I had no problem and I did not change anything on 2 PCs running Elementary OS).
I found the problem when using the command
Code:
smbclient -m SMB3 -N -L //NAS-IP

While using this command returned something useful , when I ran the same command but changed the SMB3 to SMB1
Code:
returned protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

So I searched about this problem and found the below solution
https://askubuntu.com/questions/919967/how-to-tell-gigolo-gvfs-to-use-smbv2-for-windows-shares

So to fix this I inserted on the file
Code:
/etc/samba/smb.conf
two lines
Code:
client max protocol = SMB3

Code:
client min protocol = SMB2

I hope some poor soul will be helped by this.
Savroy

Status
Not open for further replies.