Freenas not accessing internet

Mickey B

Dabbler
Hi all,

I have been struggling along with Plex for a while, and i have been using the mstinaff updater from github process for a while now, but recently it stopped working.

I have also recently had my ISP taken over and i now have a new ISP. Fair to say that the router IP address info has changed somewhat.

When i noticed that Plex stopped working, i tried to check to see if there were updates to Freenas that i hadnt downloaded/installed yet. Unfortunately, it would error out and there would be no updates. I hadnt seen that before, so i have been mucking around with general network settings when i noticed that the nameservers (after going back to Festers install guide) are supposed to be Primary and Secondary DNS servers (which had changed). So i updated to new ones as per router info and then i got a load of updates, which i installed.

This didnt fix the problem though. I still couldnt access plex servers. So i attempted the PMS_updater.sh process again and when in shell, it just hangs. Nothing happens.

I am quite sure that there is now an issue between my router setup as i had it since install, and the new settings from the new ISP.

I check the router page and noticed that default gateway has changed, and on my LAN TCP/IP setup page, it still has the IP at 192.168.1.1 and the range as previously stipulated 192.168.1.26 through to 200.

I suspect that Freenas cant access internet as 192.168.1.1 is no longer the default gateway, and i cant change it on Freenas, because it fails, which i suspect is due to the new default gateway not being within the range of the DCHP.

Is there some info that i could provide that might shed some light on my dramas?

Terribly sorry for wall of text, but i wanted to give as much info as i could to show what i was up to so far in my thinking.

Thanks in advance :)

Just a few questions to make sure I understand. The more precise and clear the better :)

So i updated to new ones as per router info and then i got a load of updates, which i installed.
This sounds like you were able to connect to the web after updating the DNS servers because you were able to download the updates?

I check the router page and noticed that default gateway has changed
What is it now?

and on my LAN TCP/IP setup page, it still has the IP at 192.168.1.1
I imagine you're referring to your FreeNAS machine and that it is set to 192.168.1.1?

I suspect that Freenas can't access internet as 192.168.1.1 is no longer the default gateway, and i can't change it on Freenas, because it fails, which i suspect is due to the new default gateway not being within the range of the DCHP.
How exactly does it fail? Do you get an error message? Does it hang? I assume you're trying to update it in the UI?

I'm not entirely clear on your setup. If you changed ISPs your external IP likely changed. Do you have anything that depends on your external IP?

Mickey B

Dabbler
Hi Philo,

Thanks for pointing that out. I did download the updates after i added the correct DNS servers.

The default gateway listed on the router is now 116.255.11.1

Freenas global network settings.PNG
These are global network settings in freenas (i dont know how to change the interface to the new one sorry)

Freenas Plex upgrade error.PNG
The error i received was from shell when trying to update UMS_Updater.sh from github

Regarding devices that depend on ip, i have PS4, PS3, Yamaha AMP, Xbox and all seem to operate through the original default gateway of 192.168.1.1.

This is the router settings in the LAN TCP/IP page - i think i may need to change these to reflect the new ISP settings, but with everything bar PLEX working, i am loathe to fiddle.

Router LAN settings.PNG

I havent changed these since the new ISP changeover. Below are the Yamaha network settings

20190228_183432_resized.jpg

I havent changed these on the Yamaha AMP, and the Yamaha app finds and play mp3 from the plexmediaserver_1 Music Jail quite well.

Only recently was plex not showing in browser. Which has led me down this very confusing path.

I have spent a few nights til very late trying to find out where ive gone wrong. More than happy to continue, but i short of deleting and starting over, i am stumped as to why some things are working and why some are not.

Thank you for replying

Can any other device connect to the internet via your router? If so, I suspect that the issue is not related to your router being unable to talk to your modem and ISP.

What happens if you ping a website from your FreeNAS box? Do you get any packets back?

You could also change your router's staring IP address to 192.168.1.2 to give you the full range. I notice that both Yamaha and FreeNAS both are assigned addresses < 26, which is where your router is set to start IP address from.

Mickey B

Dabbler
The router and all devices are functioning as normal, i seems to be only that i cant access plex server in browser and i cant update it via shell. I had been getting updates in Freenas such as the January one, but when ISP changed, the Feb update couldnt be reached until the DNS were changed. Ive looked up the error in shell, and it suggests a DNS lookup issue.

I dont know how to ping a website from the Freenas. Does that happen in shell?

I think it was Fester's guide that said to lockout some local IP address to permamently assign to devices, and then start DCHP from 26 so that the router would only assign IP to new devices from that point on.

All has been working perfectly until either the update, or the ISP change and now i think i am coming to terms with (slowly maybe) that there might be a mismatch in Freenas box settings somewhere. It is a custom build and it took too long to mention as a noob, so i really am playing with fire.

The wierd thing is that locally, devices can access plex, but through browser it cant. That suggests it might be over my head.

I don't know how to ping a website from the Freenas. Does that happen in shell?
Yes, you can run something like ping -c 1 www.google.com.

I think it was Fester's guide that said to lockout some local IP address to permamently assign to devices, and then start DCHP from 26 so that the router would only assign IP to new devices from that point on.
Ah interesting. My router doesn't assign anything an IP which is reserved.

The wierd thing is that locally, devices can access plex, but through browser it can't. That suggests it might be over my head.
What exactly do you mean by locally devices can access plex? I assume you mean a laptop or some other device you have? And when you say, "access plex" are you referring to the plex server on your FreeNAS box? And when you say, "though browser it can't" what do you mean? What can't? Which browser?

I'll be honest, I'm at somewhat of a loss. It is a bit difficult to understand your exact setup though. It would help greatly if you posted exactly what machines and devices you have, what router, which mode, and how your different devices and machines connect to the router, mode, or one another. It is difficult to offer specific advice not knowing exactly how your home network is set up and exactly what you're trying to do. Posting screen shots of errors or exact commands you ran would certainly be helpful.

I am hesitant to offer any other suggestions because I don't know enough about your network etc. Here is an example of what I mean by describing your network. As an example my network consists of . . .

1 Modem
1 Router which connects to my modem
1 FreeNAS machine hard-wired into my router
1 Instance of RancherOS running on this FreeNAS machine
1 Backup FreeNAS machine hard-wired into my router
3 Laptops connected to my router via WIFI
Various phones connected to my router via WIFI

All of my laptops, both FreeNAS machines, and RancherOS have static local IP addresses.

Mickey B

Dabbler
May i ask how you add "Mickey B said" to your replies?

I will compile a snapshot of the network, devices and settings and show it all. I admit, i believe it to be a complex and probably subtle issue, but i agree that without such info it is near impossible. I'm off to work now, but ill get it on here tonight, approx 12 hours from now.

Thanks so far friend :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
May i ask how you add "Mickey B said" to your replies?
Highlight the text you want to reply to, then click the "Reply" button that appears below it:
1551401439560.png

Mickey B

Dabbler
1551437775399.png

Both the laptop and the LG tv and the Yamaha are LAN connected automatic with no adjustment to settings. The PS4's media server, Yamaha and LGTV can access the PLEX server found on the local network and work just fine.

The browser on the laptop and my phone (remotely) have previously been able to access the server but cant any longer.

Settings for router are as a snapshot
1551437404156.png

and in more detail

1551437646412.png

Then the LAN settings page where i have reserved specific address for PS4, Freenas and Yamaha
1551437450743.png

this is the connected devices
1551437593481.png

These are the global network settings on freenas

1551437871306.png

This is the jail settings for PLEX

1551437980151.png

1551438034088.png

So after discovering that i can access PLEX on my local network, it must be that i am unable to access via internet which is what i would be doing on my laptop browser and my phone browser.

But...which setting affects outgoing traffic?? And is this even the right question?

Anyway - i am getting close to just doing without until i upgrade to 11.2.1 or whatever it is and maybe ill get the cool new interface!

Please let me know what you think and thank you for your time thus far.

Attachments

• 1551437171529.png
    1551437171529.png
    491.1 KB · Views: 510
  • 1551437935813.png
    1551437935813.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 466

Mickey B

Dabbler
Yes, you can run something like ping -c 1 www.google.com.

By the way, this worked great thank you

[root@freenas ~]# ping -c 1 www.google.com
PING www.google.com (216.58.199.68): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 216.58.199.68: icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=19.724 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 19.724/19.724/19.724/0.000 ms
[root@freenas ~]#

@Mickey B thanks for the detailed info, that helps a lot.

The browser on the laptop and my phone (remotely) have previously been able to access the server but can't any longer.
To be clear, do you mean that your laptop and phone cannot reach your local plex server from outside of your network (such as while at work)? Or do you mean that they can't access your local plex server even from within your home network? If they work from within your network but not from outside of your network your issue may be that you have to expose your plex server to the outside web.

Did you change any of the plex network settings? For example, prior to things breaking did your Plex server have a subnet mask set or NIC selected?

Also, FWIW, you may consider obscuring your external IP address. That way folks won't have your IP address and your local network topology in case they wanted to do something nefarious.

Anyway - i am getting close to just doing without until i upgrade to 11.2.1 or whatever it is and maybe ill get the cool new interface!
Which version are you currently running? I'm not sure if upgrading to 11.2 will help your problem or perhaps add a few on top of it.

Sorry I'm not able to immediately spot your problem. :/ I was hoping it'd be something simple and obvious to me. Maybe we will get lucky and something will pop out or someone more knowledgable will chime in with the solution. :)

sretalla