FreeNAS isn't working in my network

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigMOTOR

Cadet
Hello!

I am sorry for my English. So it's very difficult for me to find answer by search. I hope for your help.

I used to use FreeNAS 7 on my NAS which based on Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard (with Atom and LAN).
I had moved and I had to changed my router. After this I'd connect my NAS to it but NAS didn't get IP address and I couldn't reach web of FreeNAS.

So I'd thought that maybe my OS was too old and I installed FreeNAS 8.3.1.
But I have the same problem. FreeNAS didn't get IP via DHCP. I've tried to configure IP manually but all were the same. I couldn't reach FreeNAS via my network. It didn't see default getway.
I try to connect FreeNAS with notebook directly and configured IP. All is ok. I can reach web of FreeNAS.
And one more thing. Link lamps on LAN and on router is ON when I am in BIOS or in the beginning of boot. But when FreeNAS have started all lamps OFF.
Lamps will OFF after this: IMG_20130330_221124.jpg

Router is ok. I have many devices and everything is working. Only FreeNAS have problems.

I don't know what to do. I have lot of information on it and it was very useful for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
re0 says "No carrier" which means that the NIC doesn't think it's connected to a network. I'd check your cables and the port on the switch/router the computer connects to. Maybe try switching network cables if you have a spare. It is possible that the network card on your motherboard is bad.

In any case I don't believe the issue is related to FreeNAS but is a hardware problem.

Also, just to make you feel better.. I wouldn't be worried about your data as long as your data drives haven't been messed with. Your issue is likely just that you can't access it over the network.

bigMOTOR

Cadet
Thank you for quick answer!

Of course it first that I thought was about connection.
And I've tested. I did that:
I connect my notebook to the router with cable which I used for freenas-router conection - OK, link lamps are ON.
I connect my notebook to freenas with another cable - OK, link lamp is on, I can reach web of NAS (even without freenas reboot).
I connect freenas with router with another cable - all are same, link lamps OFF, freenas don't see my network.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Maybe it's a firewall in your new router. Unfortunately something like this is very difficult to troubleshoot for us because we don't know your hardware setup. I would investigate your router setup. Here is something you can try, get a network switch and connect your main computer to one port, the FreeNAS to another port and your router to a third port. This will allow your FreeNAS to talk directly to your computer and also get the DHCP IP address if that's what you prefer. If you are able to make it work then start to suspect any connection/switch/router between your FreeNAS box and your computer. And if you wanted to you might be able to roll back to FreeNAS .7, it's up to you.

Good Hunting.

bigMOTOR

Cadet
Yes, I have the same opinion that my router just doesn't work with freenas. And I couldn't understand why. What especially in it, what is setting that work with all my devices and doesn't work with freenas...

It's also bad that I couldn't replace router here. I used to use good brand routers Asus, Netgear. But here I have ZTE F660. Maybe something wrong in settings but I didn't find anything that could help me. Although my knowledge about networking is too poor I can pass something...

I will try to get a network switch and try your advice.

And yes I can rollback to freenas 7. Because I installed Free as 8 only on USB.

Thank you!

bigMOTOR

Cadet
I built your scheme with my old router and oh my god freenas works!
How it can be?
And is it possible to build normal scheme with one router in network?

joeschmuck

Old Man
There is something up with your new router so you should go find a forum that supports that router and ask for help, although first you should do a google search for "ZTE F660 firewall cannot access computer". See if it or some other search shows something. It may take a few hours to pin it down but if you have the problem, someone else did too.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
I found some screen in language which i don't understand. Anyway based on the picture i can say that Eth1 and Eth2 are configured as LAN ports and Eth3 and Eth4 are pre-configured for some kind of IP-TV by default. So try to plug your NAS in Eth1/Eth2 and see what will happen. Eth3/Eth4 are configured for set-top-boxes which could be receiving IPs directly ftom ISP and from different subnets.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You do realize that you responded to a 4 1/2 year old thread right?

Status
Not open for further replies.