FreeNAS install on HP DC5850 (Stops at BTX Loader) Has anyone found a workaround?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKCub

Cadet
Hi,
New to FreeNAS and have a couple HP DC5850 minitowers I would like to use as NAS for the house. Looks like there is a known problem with the FreeNAS install and what looks like the BIOS on the HP boxes.

Here is an older thread on same deal http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/install-fail-stops-at-btx-loader.11873/

Has anyone been successful in installing FreeNAS on these boxes? If so, can you walk a noob through how you did it? I am sorta comfortable (in a combative, repetitive way) with CL interface.

I think that FreeNAS will be the answer for my storage problems if I can get it to work on these boxes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

no_connection

Patron
If the installer won't work without a hack then a fair assumption would be that a running system would need a hack to work as well.

Even if you have upgraded RAM to maximum it's still an unsuitable box for FreeNAS in my opinion.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just looked up this box. Sorry, but even if FreeNAS would boot, it's a horrible choice. Not only does it have all the hardware you don't want in a server but do want in a desktop(audio, proprietary BS, firewire, etc.) but it lacks ECC RAM support and is limited to 8GB of RAM max. Considering that the *minimum* for FreeNAS is 8GB I'd say it's not a good idea to start off with a box that is already maxed out but meeting the minimum requirements for FreeNAS.

Sorry, but you're going to need to buy better hardware or find another OS for your old desktops if you must repurpose them. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.