SOLVED FreeNAS GUI not loading/available

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackrock

Explorer
I have this problem somewhat frequently, and completely randomly as far as I can tell.

For whatever reason, the srever will be restarted (probably I shut it down for a weekend away or something).

When I start it back up, I cannot access the FreNAS GUI through it's normal IP. In fact I try several IPs that it could possibly be. I know exactly where it actually is though, because Easy Tomato recognizes it right away (see image attached).

tomato.png

Anyway, occasionally if I wait ~1 hour, the GUI becomes available. Recently, no matter how long I seem to wait, it is not available.

Sometimes, I can access SSH, at this moment, I cannot.

The CIFs shares and my plugins are never active, that is always common when this occurs.

Every single time I start or restart the server, I get an email about a small SMART error. This has been here for months, but that at least tells me it is going through the boot up sequence, here's the email FYI:

This message was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: freenas
DNS domain: local

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/ada3, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Finally, if I hook in a monitor to this, or if I connect through my SuperMicro interface which acts like a shell with a keyboard/monitor connected, I can see that FreeNAS is started correctly. However the IP doesn't match what EasyTomato thinks. See the attachment and you'll see the console window screenshot.

freenas.png

I've tried resetting (option 1) with no success or change. I'm not sure what else I can try, but since I assume it is a network issue I would love to hear what options people think I can try without losing all my settings/etc...

Thanks!

gpsguy

How many NIC's to you have in the box? If more than one, are they both in use?

If you have, say, two NIC's, you might have static configured a disconnected one, using option #1 in the menu and the good one, might be getting it's IP address via DHCP from your router.

Run ifconfig to identify which NIC, you should be using.

shackrock

Explorer
Yea I have two NICs. Can you tell me what I'm looking for as I run it? Sorry I'm not a linux guy.

shackrock

Explorer
Aha, got it. Here's my steps:

Pick option 1.
Pick my interface (i just started with em0 to give it a shot).
Delete the interface configuration.
FreeNAS autodetected 192.168.1.157 (the correct IP) by doing this, and all was well.

Thanks!

gpsguy

Here's an example of mine. I only have one NIC. But, you can see that the status is active, which IP address it's using (.18) and the interface (bge0).

Disregard the lo0 interface.

Code:
bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
      options=c019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
        ether a0:b3:cc:e4:f0:fe
        inet 192.168.1.18 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flowcontrol,rxpause,txpause>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>

Status
Not open for further replies.