Not Able to Connect to GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss4johnny

Explorer
I'm running FreeNas 9.1.1 currently. I received an email from my system about 2 SMART current pending sector errors on ada3, so I decided to log in to the GUI when I got back from work to figure out more. However, I can't connect to the GUI. It doesn't bring up the log in page, just a message from Firefox that it's unable to connect.

It had been a few months since I had logged in. I had tried to log in a few weeks ago (that is, before the SMART errors) and it didn't work then. Unfortunately , I didn't bother to follow up (my mistake) when that was the only issue. I've probably made some changes to my Windows machine since I had last logged in, but I'm really not sure what I could have changed that would result in not being able to access the GUI. Any ideas what I can try?

Other than the sector thing and not being able to log in, everything else has been running smoothly (i.e I can access all the relevant files from the NAS on my Windows machines). I'm able bring up the console after plugging a monitor back in to the NAS machine.

From a Windows machine I'm able to ping the ip address of the NAS machine and get a response. From the FreeNAS console I'm able to run ifconfig em0 (at the suggestion of this thread). The ip address listed after inet is the same one I'm using to try to log in from Firefox.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm running FreeNas 9.1.1 currently. I received an email from my system about 2 SMART current pending sector errors on ada3, so I decided to log in to the GUI when I got back from work to figure out more. However, I can't connect to the GUI. It doesn't bring up the log in page, just a message from Firefox that it's unable to connect.

It had been a few months since I had logged in. I had tried to log in a few weeks ago (that is, before the SMART errors) and it didn't work then. Unfortunately , I didn't bother to follow up (my mistake) when that was the only issue. I've probably made some changes to my Windows machine since I had last logged in, but I'm really not sure what I could have changed that would result in not being able to access the GUI. Any ideas what I can try?

Other than the sector thing and not being able to log in, everything else has been running smoothly (i.e I can access all the relevant files from the NAS on my Windows machines). I'm able bring up the console after plugging a monitor back in to the NAS machine.

From a Windows machine I'm able to ping the ip address of the NAS machine and get a response. From the FreeNAS console I'm able to run ifconfig em0 (at the suggestion of this thread). The ip address listed after inet is the same one I'm using to try to log in from Firefox.

Have you tried a different browser or a different machine?

ss4johnny

Explorer
I tried IE and it didn't work, but I have not yet tried a different machine (a Windows 8 machine instead of the Windows 7 machine I normally use). Will try tonight when I get back from work.

ss4johnny

Explorer
Just tried Firefox and IE on the other machine, same error as on the original one.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you have the configuration backed up? If so, can you restore it to a new FreeNAS installation (on a second USB drive)?

ss4johnny

Explorer
I don't think I have my configuration backed up. What if I try to upgrade to the latest version of FreeNAS?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't think I have my configuration backed up. What if I try to upgrade to the latest version of FreeNAS?

Well, to solve the urgent issue of the failing drive, install FreeNAS (current version or the latest version) on a second drive, import the pool and take care of the problem. Then you can more calmly decide whether to reconfigure the whole thing or try fixing the original installation...

Whattteva

Wizard
If you could still log in through SSH, type this command and see if the web server is at least running:
Code:
ps -ax | grep nginx

And you can also use this command to find out the ports it is running on:
Code:
cat /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf | egrep ".*listen.*"

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you using https by chance?

Also, have you tried to reboot your FreeNAS? You don't state it so I thought I'd ask. You can of course do that through the console.

Do you have a RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2? I'm asking because if you have a RAIDZ2 then you have time to fix your ada3 drive. One thing for certain, ensure you only replace the ada3 drive, use the serial number. It can be viewed via the GUI or
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/ada3

ss4johnny

Explorer
@Ericloewe I think I'll try your suggestion over the weekend. I'm not entirely sure what to do to fix the current pending problem (outside of replacing the drive). As joeschmuck notes, I'm more focused on getting the GUI to work in the near-term, but if there is a way to easily fix it, is it possible I can do it in the console (if you know some commands?)?

@Whattteva I was never able to get SSH to work on the machine. I'm really not familiar with SSH, but it seemed like a good thing and I tried to set it up a few months ago. I think I had enabled it in the GUI and set up the port forwarding. I had downloaded putty, but never got it to work.

@joeschmuck I am using https. I have tried loggin in with http://192.168.0.xx but it re-directs me to the https one. I tried rebooting, and I tried turning everything off and on again. No luck. I'm on RAIDZ2 (6 3TB drives comes to about 10.6TB). I knew the hard drives were safe for one failure because of that so I haven't been in the biggest hurry. I'm sure that I could figure out how to replace it if it comes to that (I was familiar with the smartctl command from another thread, I had thought of your idea for using that to check the serial number, but it is worth repeating anyway as it is very good advice), but I'm not entirely sure how to fix it outside of replacing the drive (zpool says all drives are healthy so I'm not sure scrubbing would fix it).

joeschmuck

Old Man
A scrub will not fix a failing hard drive and to be honest, I don't recommend it prior to replacing a failing drive, I don't see the purpose in it.

I agree with Ericloewe that you should take a new (different) USB flash drive and load FreeNAS 9.2.1.3 image. Autoimport your pool. Now run in the shell
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/ada3 | more
and verify that drive has errors. Look at ID's 5, 197, and 198. The RAW Values should be "0" however I suspect 197 will be something other than zero. Any of these three ID's with a value above zero is a red flag. And I'm asking you to check it this way because once you have a fresh FreeNAS load, is ada3 still the same drive as your old installation was pointing to? You can't afford to replace the wrong drive.

Once you have identified the drive, use the serial number returned from smartctl to locate the failed drive and replace it (follow the user manual). Make sure you shut your system down, do not hot swap the drive, it doesn't always work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.