FreeNAS ftp from outside network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embowe

Cadet
I have setup the ftp server with FreeNAS 11.2 and everything is working properly with regards to permissions and all. I can use Filezilla to connect with the user/password that I created in the dataset that I setup for them. The issue is trying to access it from outside my home network.....I want to be able to FTP in from my work computer (no restrictions so nothing stopping me there) but I don't know what address my FreeNAS box would be outside of my home network. Anyone able to give a down and dirty walkthrough on what my next step would be?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You should not expose your FreeNAS to the internet because the internet is filled with hackers that will be trying to smash through to gain illicit access to your system. The best way is if you can setup a VPN between your computer at work and your home router / firewall. That way, you will be accessing your FreeNAS through an encrypted tunnel that only allows you in. My home firewall has software that I can install on another computer that allows for this, but what software you need to use and how to configure it is going to be down to your home firewall. I am sure that each brand will handle it differently.

Embowe

Cadet
I figured as such... And I run a Belkin router are home, I'll see if I can figure out if they have software for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.