FreeNas Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray

Cadet
I have been running FreeNas for over 5 months now and I would say my average up-time is 2-3 days. Periodically, the box will lock up and I will have to do a hard reboot gain back control.

I primarily use the CIFS service and access it from a windows box and a WD TV unit. Its seems that when I touch (move, delete, etc) a large file 4GB+ on the FreeNas share it locks up. I have been poking around some forums and there are many ideas floating around about some potential issues but nothing really concrete.

Does anyone experienced similar issues?
How can I gain more insight on what is happening inside the box to make it freeze?
Are there tools, logs, etc that can help me here?

• Version: FreeNAS-8.0-RC5-amd64
  • Motherboard: XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard - NVIDIA GeForce 8200, Socket AM2+, MicroATX, DVI, HDMI, PCI Express 2.0, Hyrbid SLI, eSATA, RAID
  • CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor

dziring

Dabbler
I'm seeing something similar, although not identical.
I'm running 8.01-beta4-amd64.

What I saw was the system running just fine until I tried to do a large write. I was copying about 350 GB of files (averaging anywhere from 800MB to 4GB) and sometime within the first hour the copy (via CIFS) was stuck and the web interface was down. I could still ssh into the system though. I tarred and gzipped my /var/log directory, so I can provide any log files requested.

dziring

Dabbler
I have 5GB in the system, and a 4 disk RAIDz1 configuration.
The CIFS share is still visible after I abort the copy, and I can view files, but the web interface is down.

*EDIT*
Looking at my message log, it looks like I ran out of swap space. Since I was trying to be adventurous and ran transmission as a daemon, I'm going to re-flash my USB drive and see if the problem repeats absent that additional application.

rayray

Cadet
Upgraded to 8.0 and still have the same issue

• I just upgraded successfully to version 8.0
  • I am currently running 3GB of RAM
  • Using a ZFS configuration

After upgrading to v8.0 the issue has not been resolved. The system still freezes when modifying certain files. right now there are four of them and range in size from 8-11GB.

So I did some more poking around and have some more information. I am able to drop down to the shell and rename, delete the same files that would lock up the machine if I did it through CFIS.

What are my next steps to debug this?

rayray

Cadet
Ram is on the way

I have just ordered 6GB of RAM for that box. It should be here next week. I will update the thread when it is installed.

Thanks.

dziring

Dabbler
I just wanted to confirm that re-imaging my OS drive fixed my problem. I've been copying stuff up to the freenas box for 18 hour straight without problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.