FreeNAS Crash Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FreeNAS box is randomly shutting down without notice. It just crashes and shuts down very abruptly.

My first thought was that I might have some bad RAM (I have an old refurb kit) so I went out and bought a new kit of RAM (24GB).
This did not help the situation and the server keeps crashing. My second thought was that It might be some temperature problem, but everything looks fine. Max CPU temp under 100% load test is 57c. Drive temps are also fine at around 30 - 35c. The CPU is stable. I'm starting to wonder if its the motherboard that is giving up on me. It's an older X58 board.
I don't think it is the disks as they are brand new.

Where can I find the crash log?
The Crash log doesn't show anything (Except this bug https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/21915)
And what do you guys think it might be?
Any help is very much appreciated.

Specs

CPU: i7 930 @3.2GHz (Stock)
RAM: 24GB non ECC @1066Mhz 1.5V (Rated Speed) (New)
Motherboard: Asus X58 Sabertooth
Disks: 2x WD Red 4TB (New)
GPU: XFX 6950 (Just for Video output right now)
PSU: Chieftech 650W (Left over from an older PC)

Running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3

Edit:
  1. Added System Specs, Corrected HDD temps, Update Crashlog info

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
If the drive temps are exceeding 40C, they're warmer than they should be, but that wouldn't be causing your system to crash. Hardware specs? FreeNAS version?

Specs

CPU: i7 930 @3.2GHz (Stock)
RAM: 24GB non ECC @1066Mhz 1.5V (Rated Speed) (New)
Motherboard: Asus X58 Sabertooth
Disks: 2x WD Red 4TB (New)
GPU: XFX 6950 (Just for Video output right now)
PSU: Chieftech 650W (Left over from an older PC)

Running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Test with a different power supply.

Test with a different power supply.
Hmm you might have a point... On one hand it would explain the sudden shutdowns. But I've never had a problem with that PSU before.

Hmm... maybe... it's atleast worth a try.

Will post update this evning with a different PSU. (Have to transfer a LOT of files to my server.)

rs225

Guru
If it is basically powering off, then it is likely the power supply or a short circuit (something touching that shouldn't be, perhaps the case.) Some components can cause this for thermal protection too, cpu, mobo, or even GPU.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Electronic components age like everything else. Power supplies can age more than most. In the 2006-2009 era, a lot of power supplies were made with defective capacitors, so many failing that it became known as the "capacitor plague".

Status
Not open for further replies.