New to FreeNAS, build advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldavido

Cadet
Hi folks,

New here, spent a ton of time reading, and trying to work things out but need to now ask questions as I'm determined to make my own simple NAS box. I've recently acquired an ITX-ish sized PC that I was thinking about re-purposing to a NAS, the specs are as follows:

• Processor: AMD Athlon X2 7450 2.40GHz
  • Memory: 4GB RAM (might be ECC, not sure)
  • Hard Drive: none (I have several options available)
  • Optical Drive: none (as above)
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit (redundant??)
  • User Interface: 2 USB, Headphone, Microphone,HDMI, VGA
  • Graphics Controller: nVidia Geforce 8200

Do you think this would be good enough to run a simple FreeNAS unit, or would I be needing something better? I know I'd need to probably add USB3.1 which I can do easily (electronics engineer/cable magician) but other than this do you think it'd be capable?? I know the latest FreeNAS requires 8 gig of ram, but this is going to be very small scale (~4TB tops) of back up family storage, would an older version be better suited?

Cheers for any advice!!

IQless

Contributor
If you do not have the possibility to upgrade to 8GB of RAM, I would say this is a no-go. 8GB is the absolute minimum if you want FreeNAS to work properly, and if there is something you want to work, it's a NAS.

Read this:
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

Eldavido

Cadet
Sadly, the board only supports 4GB tops so I guess this is a non-starter. Oh well, I can always keep looking. Thank you for your input.

Dice

Wizard
Definitely no-go.
8GB RAM is not "for the fancy features".
8GB RAM is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.