Need New Build Advice (First Server Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivey

Contributor
This chassis should work fine with the system you were looking at. Like any used chassis, some standoffs may need to be moved to accommodate a different system board. I have put three second hand server chassis to new purpose with my FreeNAS servers and it takes a little more work than using brand new but if you are willing to put a little work into it, it can be a good deal. I have been using mine for almost two years now.

Not worried about dealing with issues like the standoffs or upgrading fans and the like as I am a low voltage contractor and deal with these types of issues on a regular basis. Also having built many desktop PC's over the years, it should come second nature.

I would suggest this model SAS adapter because most of the work is already done, you should be able to plug it in and start using it immediately:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-H310-...ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-High-Air-Flow/162729848324
This is the same model I use in my FreeNAS servers. Just make sure it has some air moving past the heatsink to keep it cool. I had one overheat and fail when I first started using them but I have been using the ones I have now for over two years with no problems.

This won't be a bad idea or problem. I am assuming that the reason for this is to accommodate the larger number of bays but as I have only worked with PC's and not servers I am not sure. I need to be educated about this.

Hard drives do put out some heat. The more drives, the more the heat. Just be sure there is enough airflow to keep the drives below 40°C. The hotter they get, the faster they die. I try to keep my hard drives closer to 30°C and I manage that just fine with my house set to 77°F and the fans in the server running between 1000 and 1500 RPM. You can make a server chassis fairly quiet but it will never be silent. Mine are quiet enough that I can tolerate having them in my office, less than 8 feet from my desk.

Note: The fans in my server chassis, when I bought them, were 5000 RPM monsters that I had to replace to be able to live with the sound.

Not worried about the noise as if I use this approach, and I am leaning this way, the server will go on my existing AV rack in the entry closet. This closet has an exhaust fan system in place already that pulls in air from under the door and exhausts it to the attic. With upgrading the existing chassis fans I think the noise will not be an issue. There are already 2 surround sound systems in this closet so noise won't be any issue. We try to keep the house about 78-79 in the hot months. The AC bill is awful, but I find when I get older, I don't deal with heat as well.

Thanks again for all the help. You have many good idea's.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The hot-swap backplane for the drives in the chassis is SAS which is the reason for the SAS controller. Not all chassis are the same.
I do this for work and like to help people get the best system where I can help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

rivey

Contributor
Bad News
Just started checking dimensions and I won't be able to use a rack mount chassis. Both of my racks are only 20 inch's deep and the rack chassis's show 26 inch depth. So I guess now have got to look for normal case that will handle at least 8 drives or more. Not what I was hoping for but it will workout. Anyone with suggestions? I would like to use something that can use hot swap bays but I will do what I have to. I do have space under my desk for a full tower so that won't be a problem.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry, sounds like a good time for a new rack.

rivey

Contributor
Sorry, sounds like a good time for a new rack.

Only problem is the AV closet is not big enough and it would mean rewiring the multiple AV systems in the rack. Way to much work. The second rack in the dining room closet is also to small for a deeper rack and the office in the garage has no room for a rack. Will have to find a case that will handle a server and be well ventilated. Hopefully someone has a few idea's. I am currently researching that now. Will need to house at least 5 WD Red 8TB and 2 SSD mirrored for boot. Not sure if I should use a cache drive or not.

Evertb1

Guru
Bad News
Just started checking dimensions and I won't be able to use a rack mount chassis. Both of my racks are only 20 inch's deep and the rack chassis's show 26 inch depth. So I guess now have got to look for normal case that will handle at least 8 drives or more. Not what I was hoping for but it will workout. Anyone with suggestions? I would like to use something that can use hot swap bays but I will do what I have to. I do have space under my desk for a full tower so that won't be a problem.
Cases that can handle some hot swap bays are getting sparse. I own a Sharkoon T9 value that is able to house 3 bays (I have 2 of them) but I am afraid that Sharkoon does not make that model anymore. They are getting sparse in the shops. A model that is still on the market is the Sharkoon Rex8 Value. It has 8 5.25 external slots so you can at least put 2 drive bays in it. Each bay is good for 4 or 5 drives depending on brand and model. Leaving you with 2 free 5.25 slots. The Sharkoons are decent enough but not exactly build like tanks. Good enough for me though. If it comes to looks they are more targetted for gamers, but beggers can't be choosers.

My desktop pc is build in a Fractal Design Define R5. Now that one is build great. And it can easely house 8 x 3.5/2.5 drives with 2 extra slots for 2.5 SSD's. Would I need a new FreeNAS build and forget about the hot swapping this would be my choise.

Last edited:

rivey

Contributor
Cases that can handle some hot swap bays are getting sparse. I own a Sharkoon T9 value that is able to house 3 bays (I have 2 of them) but I am afraid that Sharkoon does not make that model anymore. They are getting sparse in the shops. A model that is still on the market is the Sharkoon Rex8 Value. It has 8 5.25 external slots so you can at least put 2 drive bays in it. Each bay is good for 4 or 5 drives depending on brand and model. Leaving you with 2 free 5.25 slots. The Sharkoons are decent enough but not exactly build like tanks. Good enough for me though. If it comes to looks they are more targetted for gamers, but beggers can't be choosers.

My desktop pc is build in a Fractal Design Define R5. Now that one is build great. And it can easely house 8 x 3.5/2.5 drives with 2 extra slots for 2.5 SSD's. Would I need a new FreeNAS build and forget about the hot swapping this would be my choise.

That is the case I was just looking at and it definitely is in contention for this build. Also looking at the Corsair Obsidian 750D. I am using it for my desktop PC and I do have a spare hard drive cage for it that would give me up to 9 3.5" drives plus 4 SSD mounts on the back. That would also work. Still looking of course.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I own a Sharkoon T9 value that is able to house 3 bays (I have 2 of them) but I am afraid that Sharkoon does not make that model anymore.
I think they're still in limited production. Amazon occasionally gets a batch in one of the colored version.

The Sharkoons are decent enough but not exactly build like tanks.
They're pretty flimsy, but the drive cages actually add decently to the rigidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.