First build looking for suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Hey guys. I am planning on building a NAS in the near future and I would like to know the thoughts and best practices for my build. I have been doing some research, and plan on continuing to do so, and have gotten to this point. I am looking for high fault tolerance, possibly encryption, and media streaming. Unsure of how I will back up the data but I will likely be keeping critical data on local computers and back them up seperately but I am open to suggestion as far as who is best for cheapest.

My build list is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GY84f8

I will be using my Raidmax Narwhal case to house this and I am re-purposing the H110i from my Phanteks Luxe as I am currently building a custom loop for it.

If there are any suggestions please feel free to share them as I am open. I just want to build a decent NAS and not have to worry about failing to follow best practices. If you need any other information please ask. Thanks a bunch guys!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Love the motherboard/cpu!!
Is that Kingston RAM in the Supermicro QVL list for that board?
I see a video card, you don't need one, the motherboard has VGA onboard.
PSU should be of Gold level (or better) efficiency, and most members in here like Seagate :eek: Seasonic
You're spending $1500 on electronics, the PSU should be the top quality item in
your case. If they don't have a full five year warranty, I won't even look at them :p

edit: Brand name correction

Last edited:

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Love the motherboard/cpu!!
Is that Kingston RAM in the Supermicro QVL list for that board?
I see a video card, you don't need one, the motherboard has VGA onboard.
PSU should be of Gold level (or better) efficiency, and most members in here like Seagate ;)
You're spending $1500 on electronics, the PSU should be the top quality item in
your case. If they don't have a full five year warranty, I won't even look at them :p
Yea the GPU is only in there for the initial configuring as I already have it but if the mobo has vga then im all set, I know the 1240 does not have an igpu. I am also only using the PSU as it is a Tier 2 rebranded seasonic and it is one that I already have. Eventually I will replace it with a Seasonic platinum or titanium, but for now the XFX stays lol. The RAM was basically a placeholder showing that I am using 16gb RAM and of course it will be ECC but I will be checking the QVL for the RAM prior to purchasing it.

I thank you for your suggestions! What would be the best configuration for freenas knowing the use case and system specs?

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
What would be the best configuration for freenas knowing the use case and system specs?
That's easy, one pool of six drives in RAIDz2
Good night!

tvsjr

Guru
PSU should be of Gold level (or better) efficiency, and most members in here like Seagate ;)
Seagate builds hard drives... Seasonic builds PSUs.

Stux

MVP

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Had a feeling he meant seasonic lol. So raid z2, one zdev of 6 drives? Also will that mobile rack work out ok? I lost 3 of the original internal bays and i wanted external hot swap bays anyway.

What is the best backup method? Ive done some reading and it points me to crashplan. But i have heard the plugin doesn't work too well with FreeNAS.

Should (could) i consider using dedup? I will very likely increase ram after the fact. The rig won't have to be up 100% of the time so maintenance isn't an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Also should note that it will be used for backups of both a windows machine and a mac so I will need to be able to configure FreeNAS for both.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Thanks for that. Yea for most cases dedup isn't worth it from what it seems. What should I do as far as settings for FreeNAS? I will be playing around with it on my desktop in a vm when I get my ram back from warranty on my Luxe.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Thread Resurrection time. I am getting closer to completing the build.

I have purchased the Supermicro x11ssh-ln4f, 32gb of QVL Samsung RAM (painfully expensive), a few noctua fans, an icydock 4x2.5" hdd cage, icydock 5x3.5" hdd cage, an LFI00304 HBA, forward breakout cable, xeon 1230 v5 with stock cooler, and 2 of the 6tb HGST NAS HDD.

I am now planning to fill the 4bay with 1tb seagate constellation drives and run those in z2 for timemachine only backups, order a 16gb superdom for the boot drive as i have zero luck with flash drives, pick up 6 or 7 more HDD to fill the cage, keep 2 has at-the-ready spares in case a drive fails and will likely pick up an additional 1tb seagate when I start populating those drives. I also plan on picking up a seasonic prime ultra 750w titanium psu and a cyberpower pr1500lcd UPS.

I might pick up the 4 seagates, psu, and superdom now and get the timemachine backups going for the 2 macbook pro's then pick up the 6tb drives as I go. The main desktop is down because I have been working too much to drain the custom loop so its not actually being used.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I will post pictures of the current system as soon as the HBA comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.