FreeNAS direct connected to ISP (wihout home router)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buyak

Cadet
Hello!

I have FreeNAS server which using as standalone ftp server. I have static public IP from my ISP.
I would like to install owncloud.
How can i config jails for this?
I broken my head :(

My ip is 10.***.XX.XX9
netmask is 255.255.252.0

Which ip i must bind for jails?:confused:

Hope for you help.

buyak

Cadet
Sorry, for my mistake... :)
Yes, it is private network of my ISP.
Public IP is start from 188.x.x.x, this address need only for access to my server from outside )
That is why i'm wrote, that i have static public IP from my ISP. :)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I guess it depends ENTIRELY on your network configuration. Do you map your public IPs directly 1:1 to the servers? Or do you just have multiple public IP addresses that get NAT'd to your private LAN? I think this decision will reside in the fact that you understand your network.

you will probably want to bind the jail for an internal IP and forward the port to the server

buyak

Cadet
I guess it depends ENTIRELY on your network configuration. Do you map your public IPs directly 1:1 to the servers? Or do you just have multiple public IP addresses that get NAT'd to your private LAN? I think this decision will reside in the fact that you understand your network.

you will probably want to bind the jail for an internal IP and forward the port to the server

Hello!
my ISP map public IP to my server. ftp and webgui working fine from any location . But i can't assign ip for jail, because my ISP allow only one ip with
linking to specify mac address for each client.

buyak

Cadet
no, i don't have router, my freenas computer connect directly to ISP cable at my home
I'm living at another place, and configuring my freenas remotely through ssh or webgui

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
at this point, i am going to have to refer to someone more knowledgeable with the jails systems, but i will say that there is no way i would put a FreeNAS box straight on a public IP without a firewall in front of it. FTP is one of the most insecure protocols out there...

buyak

Cadet
unfortunately, last of my ideas is necessity to setup router in front of freenas :(

Caesar

Contributor
I am new to freenas but not to networking. Your question isn't really a freenas question as much as a networking question. It's not necessary for you to setup a router in front of freenas but its probably your easiest/cheapest solution to this issue. most home ISPs only give you one public IP address. so it cost more per month for another public IP. a router is a one time expense for a low at 40 bucks. And then you can add as many internal IP addresses as you want and all will have access to the internet. But if you don't want a router, just call your ISP and ask for another public IP address. They will tell you the 10.x.x.x internal IP to use for your second public address and configure your jail to use that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.