Home network best practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyl

Explorer
I had to replace my home ISP modem today, because my TV receiver (bell fibe) was not working right. Long story short, They claimed it was because they use the 10.0.x.0 range @home and that messed it up the firm ware update they pushed... anyway that is hogwash... and it got me thinking... To my question!

Is there a "best practice" for home networks? I am referring to more of the IP range, IP allocations, and subnet setups.

In the past, I just picked this numbers off the top of the head with no real reason. I have setup my network like this...

10.0.x.1 (router)
10.0.x.100 (FreeNAS)
10.0.x.2-99 (static IP)
10.0.x.101-199 (dynamic IP)

What do you do? Is there a best practice?

Yatti420

Wizard
I don't see an issue with your method.. I think alot of people rather this way... The only difference is I've been lazy and just assigned computers whatever IP (via DHCP) they get if they'll be around for awhile.. Aslong as your not getting clear conflicts I wouldn't worry about it.. My NAS box or xbox etc all on the same IP used forever.. You remember them after awhile..

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
I have mine setup like this:

192.168.1.1 - Router
192.168.1.2-243 - DHCP allocated IP-range
192.168.1.244 - FreeNAS (still dhcp but allocated based on mac)
192.168.1.245-254 - Reserved for jail ip adresses.

Your setup seems fine to me.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Best practice is to use a private subnet. Aside from that it doesn't matter. You can use any size private range you like and use any combination of addresses. I keep my network separated over vlans and six different subnets

Sent from my Nexus 5

Best practice is to use a private subnet. Aside from that it doesn't matter. You can use any size private range you like and use any combination of addresses. I keep my network separated over vlans and six different subnets

Sent from my Nexus 5

Can you describe how your network topology is setup ?

It depends on your needs and wants, but your setup looks perfectly fine.

I'm also curious about @pirateghost his setup, especially the logic behind it.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Can you describe how your network topology is setup ?

It depends on your needs and wants, but your setup looks perfectly fine.

I'm also curious about @pirateghost his setup, especially the logic behind it.
I have a VoIP vlan, a 'DMZ' vlan, a test network (testing domain stuff), a vlan that all infected computers go on when they are being worked on, iscsi vlan, and my main domain network.

Currently, my setup is a small data center, but I am in the process of selling most of my gear and downsizing

I have a VoIP vlan, a 'DMZ' vlan, a test network (testing domain stuff), a vlan that all infected computers go on when they are being worked on, iscsi vlan, and my main domain network.

Currently, my setup is a small data center, but I am in the process of selling most of my gear and downsizing

Selling stuff ? I am a buyer right now, lets talk ?:smile:

SilverJS

Patron
For future reference of anybody finding this thread via search or what not, might I offer this little nugget? It came from the pfSense boards, where someone was answering my question as to whether my to-come pfSense install could be set up to keep my existing 192.168.0.xxx IP address scheme. His answer :
Yes. Nobody cares what your IP networking scheme is behind your NAT router. The only reason you might consider changing it to something else is if you want to set up OpenVPN so you can get into your network from afar. The problem with 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.1.0/24 and 10.0.0.0/8 is there is a high probability that you will be connecting FROM a site that uses the same network numbering. That breaks things. Some random other choices:

10.107.238.0/24
172.30.104.0/24
192.168.99.0/24

How prescient of him, as I was indeed planning an eventual VPN! So, for anybody modifying their IP address topology, might I suggest you heed this, even if you don't think you'll need VPN - you might later down the road, and it's no more difficult to pick non-VPN-conflicting (potentially) numbers like the ones above when redoing your network.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.