FreeNAS cinder volume in Openstack is slow for instance creation

running73

Cadet
Attached a FreeNAS disk array that is formatted with ZFS to Openstack. I used the readily available Cinder driver. It works fine, and I can see the volumes getting created in the FreeNAS tool. The problem I am having is it takes 20-30 minutes to deploy an Instance. The size of the instance is 20G. I read about this being normal in Openstack because of the steps involved for creating an Openstack Instance on the cinder volume. I am using Stein version of Openstack. Can anyone confirm this is expected behavior, or do I need to tweak FreeNAS, or Openstack settins ?

Beholder101

Dabbler
Let me take a poke at this. I just set up an Ussuri Openstack environment, using a TrueNAS (Glance and Cinder-Volume) en FreeNAS (Cinder-Volume and Cinder-Backup) unit. I am using Cinder NFS through the readily available driver. Creation of a 80GB instance takes about 40 seconds. This is on a 'virgin' setup, so no load on any of the services. We are using 2x 10GbE SFP+ connections in bonds between the compute nodes, controllers and storage units. I have an older Kilo Openstack environment, using a FreeNAS. There deployments are counted in seconds too, not minutes. It sounds like there is something off in your setup.

Making a backup using the Cinder-Backup driver is a somewhat different story. 80GB backup of a volume takes about 8 minutes.

A few questions to get some general sense of your setup:
Glance Images in RAW or in QCOW2?
Where is you Glance Image repo located? What storage location?
Are you using NFS? just checking....
What speed interfaces do you use?
If you manually copy a raw/qcow image from a local machine to the openstack storage location, what speed/time do you get?

Sorry for the wave of questions, but there are so many potential bottlenecks....

BTW: If you are using NFS, did you know iXSystems has a Cinder Driver for iSCSI?

Regards,
Peter