FreeNas Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad_vlad123

Dabbler
Hi all, about to build my first FreeNas server. Can someone look over my specs and see if it is compatible or if I am missing something? Not sure if I should be going with a hardware raid card or not. Going to be using 6TB or 8TB Seagate sata enterprise drives. Also not sure if I should go with ZFS2 or Raid6. Server will be used to store and stream 4k content. Both data redundancy and speed are needed. Thank you.

· Supermicro 4U System

· 1x 4u 36 bay 847E16-R1400LP Chassis SAS2-846EL1, X8DTN+ Mother Board

· - Integrated Dual Intel 1000BASE-T Ports

· - Integrated Software Supported RAID

· - Integrated IPMI 2.0 Management

· 2x Intel Xeon E5645 Hex Core 2.4GHz

· 128GB DDR3 (16 x 8GB DDR3 ECC REG)

· No Hard Drive

· 36 3.5" Caddies

· 1x LSI 9211-8i RAID Card

· Dual 10GBE 10 Gigbait Card PCI-E SFP+ HBA Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S

· dual 1400 PS

· Rail Kit

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also not sure if I should go with ZFS2 or Raid6.
If by ZFS2 you mean RAIDZ2, they're essentially the same. You should not, under any circumstances, create a RAID on a hardware RAID controller and then present that to FreeNAS as a single disk. The rest of your hardware looks fine with the possible exception of the 10G card (I don't know that it would be a problem, but I also don't know that it's compatible).

bad_vlad123

Dabbler
So probably better to just ditch the hardware controller and save the money? or will I need it for anything else?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
So probably better to just ditch the hardware controller and save the money? or will I need it for anything else?
No, keep the LSI-9211 - it's a good controller when flashed to IT mode.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Correct me if I am wrong (I don't run SuperMicro); but isn't the LSI-9211 going to be needed to connect to the backplane?

bad_vlad123

Dabbler
Correct me if I am wrong (I don't run SuperMicro); but isn't the LSI-9211 going to be needed to connect to the backplane?

Not sure - I am new to building these, that is why I am hoping people will correct my mistakes before it costs me money. Also I am looking at running a Dell UPS K792N 1920W - > does anyone think this will be OK with FN?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Yes, the OP will need an HBA to connect to the SC847E-R1400 backplanes, and my understanding is that the LSI-9211 (or something similar, such as an IBM M1015) is suitable for this purpose. That chassis has two backplanes, one for the 24-disks in front of the chassis and one for the 12-disks in back. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe a single SAS controller will drive both.

@jgreco has a handy primer on SAS and SATA and such here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-sas-sy-a-primer-on-basic-sas-and-sata.26145/

Status
Not open for further replies.