Error when installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad_vlad123

Dabbler
Hi all - can anybody help with the error(see pic/attachment)

Have installer on a 16GB usb and have a 16GB usb that I am trying to install to.. I do not have any hard drives installed yet, just trying to get the OS installed first.
-----------------
1x 4u 36 bay 847E16-R1400LP Chassis SAS2-846EL1, X8DTN+ Mother Board

· - Integrated Dual Intel 1000BASE-T Ports

· - Integrated Software Supported RAID

· - Integrated IPMI 2.0 Management

· 2x Intel Xeon E5645 Hex Core 2.4GHz

· 128GB DDR3 (16 x 8GB DDR3 ECC REG)

· 36 3.5" Caddies

· 1x LSI 9211-8i RAID Card

· Dual 10GBE 10 Gigbait Card PCI-E SFP+ HBA Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S

· dual 1400 PS

Attachments

• Error.JPG
    Error.JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
By any chance, are you using a USB keyboard? Or a keyboard that's a little out-of-the-ordinary?

The dual-CPU Supermicro user on this thread had problems with one:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/this-is-driving-me-nuts-kdb-enter-panic.35536/

Looking at the call stack, my guess would be that your panic has something to do with your CPU-related BIOS settings. You might try disabling hyperthreading. But I'm no UNIX panic guru; hopefully one of the experts here will take notice and give us some pointers.

Also, you might want to flash the mobo to the latest BIOS available from Supermicro.

bad_vlad123

Dabbler
By any chance, are you using a USB keyboard? Or a keyboard that's a little out-of-the-ordinary?

The dual-CPU Supermicro user on this thread had problems with one:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/this-is-driving-me-nuts-kdb-enter-panic.35536/

Looking at the call stack, my guess would be that your panic has something to do with your CPU-related BIOS settings. You might try disabling hyperthreading. But I'm no UNIX panic guru; hopefully one of the experts here will take notice and give us some pointers.

Also, you might want to flash the mobo to the latest BIOS available from Supermicro.

I was using a usb key board attached to a USB hub - after getting the error I switched to a ps2 keyboard, with the same result - my motherboard only has 2 usb ports so it made things challenging. I also tried swapping the USB keys - so I put the installer on the second key and tried to install to the first key and vice versa. Still no luck though!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I was using a usb key board attached to a USB hub - after getting the error I switched to a ps2 keyboard, with the same result - my motherboard only has 2 usb ports so it made things challenging. I also tried swapping the USB keys - so I put the installer on the second key and tried to install to the first key and vice versa. Still no luck though!
Have you configured IPMI on the board? @Mirfster's suggestion of installing FreeNAS using IPMI may be worth trying.

Also, did you do a burn-in of the system? Run Memtest++ and so forth? Check the BIOS version, and upgrade it if needed?

Can you boot anything on the system? DOS from a bootable USB stick or such? Linux from a live CDROM?

bad_vlad123

Dabbler
Not familiar with IPMI, but booting from a live cd sounds like a good test - I will do that tomorrow night and get back with the results. Thanks for the idea!

S

sef

"Unrecoverable machine check exception". That tends to indicate a hardware problem, although googling for it shows that firmware updates may be warranted.

Puggs

Cadet
That's a hardware fault on the CPU.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

bad_vlad123

Dabbler
That's a hardware fault on the CPU.

The computer - posts -so I am not sure its that - but anythings possible at this point. Going to burn in tonight with memtest - do you know of any good boot-able software to test the CPU's?

Puggs

Cadet
Not directly - have seen the same error on Linux boxes, and there's a program called mcelog that shows details of it

Status
Not open for further replies.