FreeNAS as Samba Primary Domain Controler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javafanboy

Cadet
Could somebody create a guide for how to set-up Samba in FreeNAS to act as a primary domain controler (there is at least one post in the forum that claims this is possible but unfortunatly the guy did not give any description on how :-().

If this is (despite the post I mentioned) not possible today I would like to propose that it would add a lot of value to enable this capability.

Many people would like to have their own doamin but do not like the idea of having both a FreeNAs server and a dedicated domain controller machine runing 24x7.

Fingers crossed this could happen one day!

jforeman

Cadet
I was able to successfully set up FreeNAS as a Samba4 PDC today. First, set the parameters on the "Domain Controller" settings page per the wiki. After that, go to the main "Settings" page and set "Directory Service" to "Domain Controller" and then to go to the "Control Services" page and turn "Directory Services" on. After that is done, FreeNAS will provision the domain. If you shell in and do a "net ads info", you should get something like the following:

dc# net ads info
Environment LOGNAME is not defined. Trying anonymous access.
LDAP server: 127.0.0.1
LDAP server name: dc.example.com
Realm: EXAMPLE
Bind Path: dc=EXAMPLE,dc=COM
LDAP port: 389
Server time: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:28:16 EST
KDC server: 127.0.0.1

Server time offset: 0

The next steps are to update the DNS settings on your Windows box (to point to the FreeNAS system as a DNS server), and to join that machine the domain.

After that, you'll probably want RSAT to administer the Samba4 domain. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7887 . This will allow you to create users, manage group policy, manage DNS, etc.

I was not able to edit the wiki, as I don't have permissions, or I would have added these steps.

Rand

Guru
Great, will try that soon.

Now just need replication settings to sync with a RasPi BDC;)

jforeman

Cadet

RobertT

Explorer

gpsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.