FreeNAS and second domain controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwd

Cadet
Hi,
I have server freenas with active directory and cifs and it's my primary domain controller.
I'm Using RSAT and I configured mobile profile and now I would like configure backup domain controller on second freenas server. I have question how configure synchronisation between this servers. It is possible on freenas? I would like have this same data on every server.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,
I have server freenas with active directory and cifs and it's my primary domain controller.
I'm Using RSAT and I configured mobile profile and now I would like configure backup domain controller on second freenas server. I have question how configure synchronisation between this servers. It is possible on freenas? I would like have this same data on every server.

I haven't done this myself. It should be possible, but you'll want to experiment on a test network. If it doesn't work, write a bug report :D

Step 1: create test network

Step 2: create Samba4 Domain on FreeNAS server "DC1" following steps here: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_services.html#domain-controller

Step 3: Configure second Samba4 domain controller on second FreeNAS server "DC2" following steps here: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_services.html#domain-controller You'll need to have DC1 as one of the name servers for DC2. On DC2, Click "Network" -> "General Configuration"
Make "Nameserver 1" the IP address of DC1
Make "Nameserver 2" the IP address of DC2

Step 4: verify that all DC related DNS records were added to the DNS zones during the join.

Step 5: Use "samba-tool drs showrepl" on DC2 to verify that replication is happening. Be patient. This can take a few minutes.

Step 6: Add the IP address of DC2 to the nameserver list for DC1.

Step 7: Configure an rsync task or zfs replication task to replicate the SYSVOL dataset on DC1 to the SYSVOL dataset on DC2. ZFS replication is probably the better of the two options, but will only work if SYSVOL is a dedicated ZFS dataset (not sure if FreeNAS does this by default) and if the webgui allows you to set a snapshot schedule for it (not sure if FreeNAS lets you do this).

Step 8: Make some changes in AD on DC1 and make sure they are getting replicated to DC2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.