How to configure a domain controller (active directory)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have installed the latest freenas distribution
That isn't the latest. The latest FreeNAS is 11.3-u5, but the name was changed with the absolutely most recent release.

What used to be FreeNAS is now called TrueNAS Core.
How can I run a domain controller (active directory) on freenas?
It is not recommended to do that. Have the NAS be both storage server and AD server.

Here is a link to a discussion of it: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/freenas-as-an-ad-dc.74757/

@anodos may have some updated guidance based on the new release.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
General guidance is to never join your FreeNAS or TrueNAS server to an AD domain that is exclusively hosted on said server. This creates circular dependencies and can behave unpredictably. A DC is something that you need to be absolutely rock-solid.

jacat

Cadet
That isn't the latest. The latest FreeNAS is 11.3-u5, but the name was changed with the absolutely most recent release.

What used to be FreeNAS is now called TrueNAS Core.

It is not recommended to do that. Have the NAS be both storage server and AD server.

Here is a link to a discussion of it: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/freenas-as-an-ad-dc.74757/

@anodos may have some updated guidance based on the new release.

Do I understand correctly that from FreeNas 11.3 the domain controller service has been removed?
It is also not available in the TrueNas Core 12 version.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Do I understand correctly that from FreeNas 11.3 the domain controller service has been removed?
It is also not available in the TrueNas Core 12 version.
There is a reason for that, as I understand it, the problems caused by making FreeNAS a DC were many and varied, so the decision was made to remove the feature. While it is still in the older version of the software, that should not be seen as an indication that it should be used.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes, the domain controller feature has been removed. Moreover the version in 11.2 is now unmaintained since it is EOL. In 11.2 you can run the command "smbd -V" to see your samba version and then view current CVEs against the version in 11.2 by consulting this page: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/security.html

Note 11.3+ are not vulnerable to AD-DC related security vulnerabilities. This is one part of the many reasons why the feature was removed (we can avoid having to provide a significant amount of out-of-band security updates).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Remove "PRIVATE_DATASETS" preset from your shares or share out single share "/mnt/Storage/home/" as private dataset. Looks like SMB session are spinning on trying to connect to the shares (but failing because of permissions checks).